Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wal Mart

I read an email about Wal Mart stores taking the material out of their stores. Seems this is nation wide practice. A new store opened in my area and I complained, was told to call the 800 number at Wal Mart and compain. Said management will listen to the customer. How about it fellow quilters.
    M Murphy

M Murphy,

There are many many posts on this site about Wally World. We have been complaining since the beginning and yet they are still taking the fabric out of alot of Wal-Marts around the U.S. We have countlessly signed the petition, called the 800 number and listened to an automated system, written letters to the CEO's, complained, complained, complained. The ceo's of Wal-Mart just are not listening, or frankly, they don't care. Everyone is out to make a dollar, some just do not go the smartest way about it. I find it ridiculous as do all of the other quilters I know. Luckily, one of the Wal-marts that are keeping their fabric in my state (WV) is not too far away. Also the closest Wal-Mart for me, that was supposed to do away with their fabric in June, is staying open about 5 more years or until they remodel. Then, when they remodel, the fabric will be gone. However, this Wal-Mart is beginning to lack in the choice of material. I guess we could all go "strike" in front of the Ceo's homes. haha...Who's with me? :D

While one fabric dept mgr has told me she can order new fabrics, it appears as though they are trying to empty out their warehouses, and send her boxes of stuff that had not sold for years. There are many bolts of fabrics I sewed in the 60's and 70's and then a lot of just plain junk. These are on the $1. table. And much of that fabric is cheap and thin and certainly not at all suitabe for quilting. What is going on the shelves at specific prices is not very much. There is lots of empty space. I have options but shop at 2 of the Wal-Marts close by and right now it is hardly worth going to look at what they have. I fear, as the od prophet used to say "The end is near!"

June in Cincinnati

Amen to that! It is awful that we actually think it is almost not worth going to even look at their material. I am a, as I am sure alot of you are, fabaholic. I love just touching the material even if I don't buy it. Lately, Wal-mart hasn't had any material that has jumped out at me, that I haven't touched 10 times...lol, and said pick me. I also noticed they are getting some prepackaged fat quarters in. Last time I was there, they had a few Disney prepacked fat quarters, I believe it was like 5 in a pack. They were on sale for 5 dollars. I bought a pack of Mickey Mouse for a diaper bag. I wish there was some way of opening their eyes and pulling at their ears saying We're here, listen to us, we are the reason you have such a profitable business. Grr..makes me mad.

Heather, if I thought it would do any good, I would cobble together a picket sign and hop on the next plane with you to picket in front of the CEO's house!! I jokingly said I would do this the last time I complained when I was at WalMart, and the staff said the CEO lives in Arkansas. That's a long way from California.

My Wal-Mart is in the midst of a remodel. Electronics now take up 4 times the space they did, and there is only 2 small aisles of craft related products, no fabric. I am very upset. I called, emailed, signed petitions... all for nothing.

I don't think it's what Sam Walton had in mind. I loved the old Walmarts, but I really don't like the super centers, and yet if you live in a small town, that's the only place left to shop since they've replaced the small family businesses.

One question I would have about that petition is: who was in charge of making sure Wal-Mart CEO's got to see the sheer numbers of women who poured out their hearts to pleade for saving the fabric department. Would you believe 35,844 women have signed that petition? Are our voices being heard? Like others before us have said, the CEO's have spoken and don't care one whit about their customers. It is really hard to believe. No, I don't think this would make Old Sam Walton happy!

My one opinon is...their minds were made up long before the petition was started and 36,000 women will NOT change their minds. It is a SAD day for those women who cared enough to pour out their hearts in the writings at the signing of the petition.

June in Cincinnati

My one opinon is...their minds were made up long before the petition was started and 36,000 women will NOT change their minds. It is a SAD day for those women who cared enough to pour out their hearts in the writings at the signing of the petition. - June in Cincinnati

I agree with you 100%. Customer loyalty is not nearly as important as the almighty dollar. Just looking at the "expanded" electronics department in our store proves that.

I just found out today that the walmart in Biddeford Maine is pulling there fabric out. I was a little upset about this my self alone with the 5 other people who was at the counter. I did not hear one person there support them in this. I should not be suprised. It seems when ever I find something there that I really like and choose to use they stop selling it. It is really beginning to make me deside not to shop there any more. I guess I will visit my local quilt shop more or make the hour drive to New hampshire to Jo anns

Suz
    Another WalMart story: A friend bought spark plugs, put then in his car and did not work. Returned them to WalMart, received replacement ones, put in car, did not work. Returned this third set and repeated the scenerio. When he returned this third set, he demanded his money back. Went to the local auto parts store, purchased the same brand, put them in his car and they worked.

Seems that WalMart is getting better prices from suppliers, but the products are not first quality, thus their "nice" lower prices. I have heard similar stories about their computers.

Anyone out there experiencing other product failure?

Suzanne

My DH bought me an Ipod for Mother's day. I never thought I would own one but it has become my quilting companion. A few days later, for no reason it quit working, I had maybe used it twice and it just quit. So, i returned it to the store and got another one. It was fine until right after the store warranty and it started freezing...grr. So far, it has been fine. My MIL and FIL have purchased numerous TV's from Wally world and they only last them a few months and quit working for no apparent reason. Each time they buy a more expensive version thinking you get what you pay for and each time the tv has blew up. Speaking of returning things at Wal-Mart, did you know you can return practically anything? One day I was there and a woman was returning a turkey...like a 22lb turkey. I said oh my...I didn't know you could do that. Jeez....

I bought a VCR/DVD player that didn't last either. I think we should try to return these defective machines like the woman did with the turkey. My son did return a pair of shoes he had worn for a few months, because they came apart on the inside. They took them back.

I put this on the WM quilt of the month post but thought it might be worth repeating since you may just want to eye the table again.

When I went home for a visit this last month I found a really nice piece of fabric on their dollar table. Mom got all excited when I showed it to her, but when we went back and looked the rest of what they had was… well, worth a dollar. It seems my hand knew the touch of a good piece even though I didn't know the brands.

Mom says she’ll not walk into WM if the discontinue the department.

I don't shop at WM near as much as I did. All since they pulled the fabric, even though one of mine still has a good selection. The other doesn't. Since I have to drive 100 miles to get to one, I do shop the fabric when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by live2teach
    My DH bought me an Ipod for Mother's day. I never thought I would own one but it has become my quilting companion. A few days later, for no reason it quit working, I had maybe used it twice and it just quit. So, i returned it to the store and got another one. It was fine until right after the store warranty and it started freezing...grr. So far, it has been fine. My MIL and FIL have purchased numerous TV's from Wally world and they only last them a few months and quit working for no apparent reason. Each time they buy a more expensive version thinking you get what you pay for and each time the tv has blew up. Speaking of returning things at Wal-Mart, did you know you can return practically anything? One day I was there and a woman was returning a turkey...like a 22lb turkey. I said oh my...I didn't know you could do that. Jeez....
    As long as you have a receipt, I think they will take anything. There used to be an old joke about a woman returning her husband and mother-in-law to Wal-Mart. Can't remember what she got in return, but she was happy with the exchange!

I hardly ever go to Wally world anymore, the one closest to me has all but discontinured their fabrics. They used to have nice fabric along w/the cheaper stuff. My complaint now is everything is made elsewhere, China!!!! Remember when WM first arrived they were only carrying products "made in the USA", that is no longer their practice.
    While on my soapbox one other thing. :twisted: Went to Joann's while looking at the material I discovered that most of it was "made in China", I had never noticed this before and was very surprised. I found one piece in my color made in USA. Now this was just in the purple section, but I plan on checking when I go next :twisted:

Sewmuch,

I know what you mean! You used to be able to find almost anything that said Made in the USA...I used to only buy USA products and now you can hardly find any. It's ridiculous.

I used to tell my mom, when she bought a Toyota, that when everyone loses their jobs and you can't get USA products anymore, you may have to eat your Toyota. Now I guess we all do. Been a long time coming.

I just got my Joanns flyer in the mail and right on the front was an announcement that WM will no longer be carrying fabric. I guess it's good for them. Donna

If they announced that, do you think the rumors are true that WM has bought out JoAnn's? Sure sounds like it. I've noticed recently my flyers have a different format too. They don't come as frequently and there are fewer 40% coupons, only those strange $5 off coupons. That's a shame. JoAnn's will probably sell the cheaper grade WM fabrics at JoAnn prices.

For the last year my joanns has carried a line of quilting fabric Haber I think its called, that they sell at 2.99. At wallys they have many of the same prints same name at a dollar. we have very few supplies other thanfabric at wallys, though they now have ott lites. It sounds ominous for the future of Joanns.

Well, yesterday I visited JoAnns. Suprisingly,I actually didn't buy any fabric. I couldn't believe it. Normally, I am leaving the store with a $200 bag worth of fabric( I only visit Joann's a couple of times a year because it is so far away). Well not yesterday. They didn't have very much new fabric. The truck runs Thursday evenings with the material, so maybe I just didn't stay long enough to see the new material. This was the first time I had been to JoAnn's and they didnt' have a big selection of new material. I was kind of disappointed. Blah!

Quote Originally Posted by Norah
    I used to tell my mom, when she bought a Toyota, that when everyone loses their jobs and you can't get USA products anymore, you may have to eat your Toyota. Now I guess we all do. Been a long time coming.
    A lot of Toyotas are made her in the Unites States. We have a plant in Ohio. Our Dodge was made in China by Mitsubishi. We thought we were buying an American car. Our Suzuki motorcycle was made in Rome, Georgia. Even though Harley's are an "American" motorccyle, most parts are foreign made, just assembled in US.
    I am just trying to point out that you can't rely on the brand name to know if something is made in the US.

Banned
    Hi , I am also upset with Wal mart no longer having any kind of sewing supplies ! Of course the store here isn't all that great anyway . Some stores still have sewing and craft supplies. Doesn't make much sense does it ? I found out all Walmart stores are affiliated with each other.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast