Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking foot with Pfaff Grand Qilter >

Walking foot with Pfaff Grand Qilter

Walking foot with Pfaff Grand Qilter

Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 AM

I have a Pfaff Grand Quilter and have used it quite a bit for FMQ, it is not on a frame. I've just bought a walking foot for the machine because I have a lot of straight line quilting to do, but I'm having a problem with the back of my quilt puckering and I've had to unpick it a couple of times and I've now totally re pinned the quilt hoping to get a better outcome.
Do any of you knowledgeable people have any suggestions for me to make my task easier. I have the same thread top and bobbin, it hasn't been breaking and the tension looks good. Could the problem be the pressure level on the foot? I have tried this on almost every setting with no luck.

I don't have a Pfaff dealer near me, I phoned one today but they really couldn't help. I don't want this to beat me although I'm tempted to do the job on my other Pfaff machine with the built in IDT.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions that you may have - the quilt is one that I got from a link on this site and I'm looking forward to posting photos of the completed job.

Cheers and thanks from Oz
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

First of all I am so envious of your machine. I have a Pfaff 2124 and love it. I used to have problems with puckers on the back of the quilt until I started using basting spray instead of pinning. Have you tried that yet.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:02 AM

Thanks Patti,

I haven't tried the spray yet but have read about it on this forum, I'll have to trace some down here in Sydney, it doesn't seem to be widely used here. I'll let you know how I get on!!

Thank you again

Glenda
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Try lengthening your stitches, the fabric will feed into the walking foot smoother.
Start from the center, going outwards in different directions, too :D:D:D
Old 07-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Thank you, I'll try to resist hoisting it out the window for another day, so frustrating when all I want to do is quilt. Have resorted to reclaiming my old faithful 1222 from my daughter to get the job done.

Will try starting from the centre and taking bigger stitches - I'm now quite good at unpicking, so will give it a try.

Love this blog, so helpful.

Glenda
Old 07-28-2010, 03:28 PM

You probably already do this, but had to mention it just in case. Do you have support set up for the parts of the quilt that are not under the needle? That is so the weight of the quilt is not pulling at it and making it pucker? I just set up to start FMQ on a pretty big quilt and set up a table to be behind the sewing machine and a TV table to the side so the quilt will be supported while I quilt.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 PM

That is an area that could probably do with some improvement actually, I moved my table away from the wall so the quilt will have somewhere to "go" as it moves through the machine. I have done a lot of FMQ on this machine with no problem, I've only just bought the walking foot as I have two quilts that need straight line quilting and the quilt does move a lot faster through the machine, maybe that's why I'm having the problem.

Thank you, will give it a go!!