Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Walking foot

Yes I do the zig zag stitch with my walking foot. It works great, I have a Baby Lock machine, and this is the walking foot that came with the machine.

Have never done anything but straight stitch, but if the opening on the foot is large enough don't see why one couldn't do it.

I do and have had no problem. I use the walking foot for as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I don't know about zig zagging with the walking foot, but I have used my machines fancy stitches with it on and had/have no problems.
    Same here - now we've probably jinxed it - LOL!

That is a good question. I have only used mine for straight stitchs. I never thought about other stitches with it. Lots of helpful answers here. Thank you!

If the opening slot on your walking foot is as wide as the foot you use for zig zag, you should be able to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    I don't think that you are suppose to try aiz zagging with a walking foot. Because a walking foot's job is to try and make the upper fabric and lower fabric move forward as one, the sideways action of the zig zag stitch would just throw everything out of kilter and I think you'd probably break a needle or even put your machine out of tyme. If this isn't the case, I'd like to know because I've always wanted to use some of my fancy stitches when quilting and using my walking foot.
    After breaking three needles, I finally decided that the only stitches I could use with the walking foot were the ones which fit inside the needle "space" on the foot. :-(

I use mine a lot with the decorative stitches on my little Brother machine. MOST walking feet do have the hole big enongh for this. BUT, do as katyb said that she does - use the hand wheel to check that the hole in the walking foot is wide enough to do this. I would also just try it on a scrap of fabric (just like a piece of a quilt). Good luck and enjoy the use of the walking foot! :>)

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee in Texas
    I use mine a lot with the decorative stitches on my little Brother machine. MOST walking feet do have the hole big enongh for this. BUT, do as katyb said that she does - use the hand wheel to check that the hole in the walking foot is wide enough to do this. I would also just try it on a scrap of fabric (just like a piece of a quilt). Good luck and enjoy the use of the walking foot! :>)
    Good advice! I use mine for all sorts of stitches, I have 2 Brothers, never had a problem. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I do it all the time. I have three walking feet, one is like the open toe foot on most machines. My machine is a Janome 6600P, and I do everything from blanket stitch to zigzag with my walking foot.

Why are some able to use their walking foot for reverse stitching and others aren't? Are there differences in the walking foot that permit this? I'm glad this topic was posted because I was wondering about this also.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger
    I use my walking foot for straight line stitching. I have always used the straight stitch setting on my machine. Someone told me that I can also use the zigzag stitch with this foot. Have any of you done this? I don't want to break the foot but would like to try the zigzag.
    I have a small Brother machine and I bought the foot separately so there's no info in the manual.
    Thanks.
    I have 2 Berninas and use the walking foot for ALL the decorative stitches. I use them to quilt with. So for my walking foot (feet) the decorative stitches work fine. Neither of my machines are brand new --one is about 20 years old and the other is about 10 years old. I have a new Elna and the decorative stitches work fine with it, too.

I use my walking foot with the wide slot for decorative stitches all the time. I also bought the walking foot that Sue Hausmann uses on her program, but it has a hole in the center rather than the slot, also got the snap one attachments that go with it, one is stitch in the ditch and the other one is 1/4" side bar. It works fine but when I use it I sure do miss the wide slot. I can adjust my needle with that one.

community benefactor francesrose's Avatar
    I use my walking foot for zig-zag and many other fancy stitches. I have a Brother 6000i and it came with a walking foot. The instructions tell me what stitches I can use the foot with. i have finally figured out the if the fancy stitch is a straight stitch and does not back up I can use the foot. I really love mine. I did see a video with a master quilter where he uses the walking foot for all of his quilting. I cannot go that far but I will try one of these days

I use my walking foot for everything except free motion quilting. It has plenty of room for all the stitches and I use my decorative stitches a lot as well as straight. It has never caused any problems with the machine nor have I broken any needles. It's open, so I can see where the needle is coming down.

I use decorative stitches to quilt with frequently. Its a nice way to play with your stitches and looks good too. :-D

Blog Entries
    I too am told only straight stitching, and no back stitching.
    But I do have a question for everyone, if you use a walking
    foot and move the needle over a couple positions, would
    that interfere with the needle coming back to center when
    you turn the machine off and on? Anyone have a problem
    like that?

Blog Entries
    I just have a machine where I manually move the needle to the position I want it. Not sure about other machines. May be a good idea to start a new topic asking this question so that more people will see it.

Have a great day.
    ranger

Quote Originally Posted by jdeery
    I too am told only straight stitching, and no back stitching.
    But I do have a question for everyone, if you use a walking
    foot and move the needle over a couple positions, would
    that interfere with the needle coming back to center when
    you turn the machine off and on? Anyone have a problem
    like that?
    Both my Viking and my Bernina have repositionable needles that go back to center when the machine is turned off an on again.

You also have to look at the part that goes over the needle screw some are just arms and others have a two tine fork like attachment for the needle screw just make sure that it also clears as it is the needle that is moving as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger
    I use my walking foot for straight line stitching. I have always used the straight stitch setting on my machine. Someone told me that I can also use the zigzag stitch with this foot. Have any of you done this? I don't want to break the foot but would like to try the zigzag.
    I have a small Brother machine and I bought the foot separately so there's no info in the manual.
    Thanks.
    I have used my walking foot for all kinds of stiches. I have never had a problem. The store where I purchased my machine said I shouldn't do it, but I do! It turns out great; even the zig zag stich. I have a Baby Lock Allure. Maybe it is the machine. I do recommend that you try the stitch first to make sure it does not hit anywhere.
    Diane

I use mine just fine with zigzagging and other fancy stitches. My feeddog doesn't work right now, so I'm using the walking foot all the time. Just finished with a buttonhole stitch to applique some fan blades onto the background fabric and it worked great.

Best to check your instructions, but if you have a wide throat (place for the needle to go down), you should be able to zig zag as well. You won't break it, but the needle will break if you don't.

I use my walking foot for all the decorative stitches on my machine, works great on the 3 layers when ready to quilt. No puckering.

Blog Entries
    I use my walking foot just like any other foot. Had never heard until today that you can't or shouldn't do reverse. Do it all the time. As I said in another place here on the board, "it's just a foot the machine does the reverse. Not sure what others do but I have 3 Janome machines and use the walking foot on 2 of them all the time. My 10000 machine I just use for embroidery but can use it for sewing if the need arose. I like piecing with it on as the fabric feeds evenly. I've also done fancy stitches as part of quilting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3