Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking Foot >

Walking Foot

Walking Foot

Old 12-24-2009, 08:01 AM

Can a walking foot ever wear out? I've had mine for seems like forever, and is starting to show it, but it seems to work just fine. The new ones are sooo expensive now so dread the day I have to invest in a new one.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Wanda_GA
Can a walking foot ever wear out? I've had mine for seems like forever, and is starting to show it, but it seems to work just fine. The new ones are sooo expensive now so dread the day I have to invest in a new one.
If it is "working fine" just keep on using it. I have a walking foot for three different machines--I think my older ones move the fabric better than the newer ones. I've had one for at least 20 years and it is still going strong. I use mine much like the others have said--for slick fabrics, and for machine quilting and for the binding. It also works great with denims--like you use for purses, etc.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2009, 11:49 AM

Ditto to all of the above! I also use it when piecing bulky things, purses, wallets, etc. I use it for bindings. I use it when using decorative stitches that only go forward, such as the serpentine stitch. Before I bought it, I always tied my quilts because I hated the puckers in the back I got w/o the foot. It is the best accessory to invest in!!!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:25 PM

Speaking of walking foot - I just upgraded to the Janome 4900, which comes with the walking foot, the free motion foot and the 1/4" foot, which I purchased separately. Do I hang on to them or sell them at a reduced price?
Old 12-24-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wanda_GA
My daughter bought a walking foot for her kenmore and it only cost $20. which I thought was reasonable.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

If you are keeping the old machine, I would hang onto them :D:D:D If they fit the new machine, I would hang onto them LMBO Having extras of what I regularly use would not bother me one bit, especially the walking foot as they are spendy to replace.
Also it is nice sometimes to have both machines set up for doing different things so you can bounce back and forth, or have a second set up if a sewing/quilting buddy comes over :D:D:D
Old 12-24-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Speaking of walking foot - I just upgraded to the Janome 4900, which comes with the walking foot, the free motion foot and the 1/4" foot, which I purchased separately. Do I hang on to them or sell them at a reduced price?
I'd not only hang on to them, but I'd use them all as a part of the quilting process--the quarter-in foot to sew pieces together; the walking foot for stitching in the ditch on quilts, the darning foot for free motion quilting. You are set up and ready to go. Happy quilting.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Yvonne
I absolutely agree about the Pfaff. I use the dual feed all of the time. It makes my piecing so much easier. When I switch machines I'll notice that my corners aren't matching just as I'd like. Then it dawns on me that I'm using the other machine and no dual feed.

The other advantage of the Pfaff, I can put the 1/4 inch foot on and still have dual feed. Man, do I sound like an advertisment or what? I do like the Pfaff! I admit it.
:P
I just recently got a Pfaff and I love the dual feed. I use it all the time.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:17 AM

Well, I was very patient (look who is talking) as there were just things that I absolutely HAD to do before I could use my new machine. Was up till 4am....Claudette, your blocks were the first ones to come off it, and I finished up another project that had been sitting for a month. Good advice from those of you who know, I will keep the extra accessories.
With the New Year just around the corner, wishes for health, happiness and great sewing go out to all of you.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:41 AM

I use a walking foot for all the reasons given by the others. I use it for matching plaids and stripes in clothing construction, binding, straight line quilting, and for piecing long strips of fabric. It's a pain to put on and take off as I have to change not only the foot, but the post that holds it.

My next machine will be a Pfaff with the built capability.

They do wear out eventually at least the one for my Babylock did. The machine isn't that old a couple of years or so. My son-in-law to be put it back together, but every time I hit an extra think part of a binding or wallet it comes apart again.