Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • wall boards >
  • wall boards

• wall boards

Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 AM

I am looking for directions on how to make a wall board so I can do my placement and patterning and layering on the wall. I heard somewhere to use ceiling tiles but that didnt make sence to me.
    Old 04-19-2010, 02:39 AM

You mean like a felt board? What I did is to take styrafoam - I know I misspelled that word - and wrap flannel around and secure. Mine is not hung on the wall, it is propped against the wall - is about 5 x 5 and moveable.
    Old 04-19-2010, 02:42 AM

My LQS uses a large piece of batting tacked to a wall for their design wall. This works very well.

I went out and bought a large piece of felt and hung it on one wall with curtain rods. I use the rings that have the hooks on the bottom for easy removal of the felt. I did scruff up the felt a tiny bit with a brush to make the blocks stick better. It works very well and with the curtain rod, makes it easy to put up and take down, plus I can interchange with another piece of felt for another quilt, without removing the first quilt. I like this benefit.

I have also heard of using an old fleece blanket or flannel.

IMHO, I would bring a square with me and go to the fabric shop and just plop the square onto the fabric. Give a gentle shake. It the block stays, the material will work just find.

Hang it wherever you have a large open space. I have mine hanging over a double closet door with the bottom pinned up for larger quilts. It works much better with a firm wall or cardboard behind the design wall.

Hope this helps! :) :) :)
    Old 04-19-2010, 02:49 AM

Haven't heard of ceiling tiles but this will work too. Depending what size you want... if you have a home depot or lowes that kind of store.... get a piece of floor board( thin piece of wood) or any piece of wood will do... paneling will do also... long piece of felt or batting... lay out and staple. You can get any thickness you want. I'm not sure what this is called so bear with me... a plant hanger... that you mount to the wall of your home.. this can be used to hold up this wall board... as long as the mounts are screwed into the studs in the walls. These things have a droopy hook at the end the board sits safely and its on a perfect angle. good luck :thumbup:
    Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 AM

Mine is a piece of closed cell foam insulation - looks just like a big piece of pink Styrofoam (purchased at a building supply store)- very lightweight. Just covered it with some flannel. I love it.
    Old 04-19-2010, 04:29 AM

I've got a 4x6 ft piece of styrofoam insulation just put batting, flannel sheet on with quilting pins, put it behind a dresser when I'm not using it. I also have one that's about 24" square, made a little fitted flannel sheet for it. I use it on an easel right by me when I'm piecing blocks. The small one is what I used to make the quilt top that's my avatar.
    Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 AM

i have a folding screen i put a big piece of batting over , folds up nice, when i dont' need it, works good when i do.
    Old 04-19-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by nana pat
    I am looking for directions on how to make a wall board so I can do my placement and patterning and layering on the wall. I heard somewhere to use ceiling tiles but that didnt make sence to me.
    flannel back tablecloths work really well, I keep one folded up cuz my room is so small and get it out only when I need it
    Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 AM

I use a flannel backed table cloth myself. It is quick and easy to hang up and you can fold it up and put it away when you don't need it.
    Old 04-19-2010, 07:27 AM
    Power Poster

I have flannel backed tableclothes ... and I bought them after Christmas for 75% off :wink: Got several sizes :thumbup: