Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wall Hanging Batting Question

Blog Entries

Wall Hanging Batting Question

It's been a long while since I was last here. I have finally been able to replace my sewing machine, and even then, it's just a temporary machine until I can afford an awesome one.

Anyways, I'm starting on a wall hanging for my boyfriend for his birthday that he'll be receiving when I arrive in Baltimore on Sunday, July 1st. He does War of 1812 reenactments and I decided to do a US flag from that time period.

My question is, what is the best type of batting to use with a wall hanging that is not very expensive?
    "That quilt top has a very cat shaped bump in it." Alu had once more been thwarted by Wrigley, who was happily sleeping between the top and batting. "All that basting for nothing."

Joann, Michaels, even Walmart, generally carry a small package of batting labeled "crib size" 45 x 60. That size will be large enough for several wall hangings depending on size. The Warm Company carries one usually around 10-12 dollars, less if you have a coupon at Joann's. You may be able to buy a smaller size of "batting by the yard" at Joann's or a quilt shop. The batting in a wall hanging just gives body to your project making it hang and look better so IMO it doesn't have to be anything special. I sometimes even piece scraps of batting to go in wall hangings.

I prefer the look of a cotton batting in a wallhanging, I think it helps it hang flatter. When I first started to quilt I did use poly blend, but found it was a little wavy against the wall.

Blog Entries
    Warm and Natural is a good batting to use for this project — very stable and flat. Can usually buy it by the yard at Joann’s and Walmart may also have it.

I prefer a thin batting in my wall hanging and table runners, even flannel works.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Warm And Natural is what I use also. With a coupon from JoAnn's.

I prefer thin batting or Pellon fleece for wall hangings.

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    I prefer the look of a cotton batting in a wallhanging, I think it helps it hang flatter. When I first started to quilt I did use poly blend, but found it was a little wavy against the wall.
    I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but in this instance where she is making a flag being wavy might not be a bad thing. JMHO
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I used white polyester type felt on one and it is holding its shape very well without any sagging or settling.

I often use fusible fleece, one or two layers, depending on the look and feel you want.

For that flag, I’d use flannel. Wash, dry and iron it before you use it. It’s inexpensive, and you can buy what you need. (Although, please buy 1/3yd exrea for the shrinkage.

I suggest felt. Yes, felt that is on the bolt, not the small squares for craft items. I believe the felt has some polyester in it to make it stronger. I have used this for table runners and wall hangings--I wash it first, It is very wide, has no grain, and comes in many colors. It is easy to work with and gives a nice result.