Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wall Hanging or Bed Quilt?

Most of the things I work on at lap size and smaller - If it is bigger then it is off to the quilter I go because of space limitations.

The largest quilts I have done so far are crib quilts and lap warmers. I didn't start quilting until I turned 66 so I feel a need to do smaller quilts so I can get them finished. I painted in watercolors before I started quilting, so I think of quilts as paintings.

I have only made one to hang and it was a small mandala, 17X18, for a friend. I enjoy making "quilts for kids" and then I can practice free hand quilting. I do enjoy the process of making a bed quilt for gifts and us!

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Which do you do more, wall hanging or bed quilt - and what size?
    Started out doing all full/queen quilts. 7 Baby quilts for 7 grandchildren. 7 twin quilts for 7 grandchildren and just finished up the 7th one and will get it posted soon - been saying that for 2 weeks now. Since joining a quilt chapter/guild here in our retirement community, I do whatever we are working on which has been more throws, a set of placemats and a table runner and 2 quilted sweatshirt jackets. While doing the small projects though, I always have a bed size quilt in progress.

Blog Entries
    Bed quilts(queen or king), but lately I have been doing small wall hangings and candle mats, so that I can practice my fm quilting. I think I'm actually getting hooked on them now. Ideas keep coming up in my mind for them. Or I want to try a new technique, they're perfect.

Dkm
    I like doing both, but I like wall hangings better. I'm into the (what I call) fake stain glass. I didn't care for cutting all that basis tape. I always put a sleeve on mine, but my husband makes quilt hooks. They are real nice because I can use a T pin in them and not leave a big hole in the wall, and better yet I can hang them myself.

I do wall hanging .the kids like them and get done faster.
    shirleyt

I do more wall hangings in the same time or less than bed-size quilts and the satisfaction of seeing the finished work is worth it. Even with my Bernina BSR it's a pain to machine-quilt a full size quilt with a standard size machine. I know a lot of you do it but I haven't reached that level of expertise!

Twin/full sized bed quilts.

Blog Entries
    All sizes of bed quilts. Lately I have been doing alot of baby charity quilts, but my passion is large quilts.

wallhanging, lap quilts, table runners, lots of small things. Though I have several bed size as UFO and kits in waiting to do.

love wall hangings, and always put a hanging sleeve, some can be used as table toppers too.... I don't have a very long attention span, so I have to get done with my project quickly... Also , how many large quilts can one person have and I am too Scotch to spend alllllll that money and give it away. Quilter 1234

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I have more lap quilts. The size is good for snuggling or hanging on a wall.

That is a hard question to answer. I do bed quilts, wall hangings, baby quilts, lap robes and comfort quilts for cancer patients. I haven't kept track of how many of each I have done. I'd have to go through my quilter"s journals to find out. I enjoy all of them. It all depends on what the occasion calls for. I recently finished a 45" sq. wall hanging which is a sodoku puzzle for my daughter in law for her birthday. Right now I am in the process of quilting a signature bed quilt for our associate pastor and his family who will be leaving soon.

I prefer lap and wall size. Bed size is too tiring for these old hands to wrestle through a sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    Baby quilts and table runners. :-D

love to do wall hangings and small quilts...but I use the pop tabs on the back for hanging...if it is a large wall hanging I put 1 on each corner & thread fishing line to make it hang even & that thread does not show. I guess one could call that recycling.

Faye, what a great idea.... thanks.... I will try that.. Quilter 1234

Blog Entries
    I am making lap quilts and table runners now.

How do you attach the pop tabs to the back of the quilts? Sounds like a great idea. We recently moved into a retirement apartment and I want to make small door/wall hangings for the different seasons. Looking for fabric now for patriotic holidays coming up.

Ty
    I do more wallhangings, baby quilts and lap quilts. Bigger quilts and I don't get along too well. I like instant gratification, I guess. Also, I make mini wallhangings for all of the holidays for my two grandsons and am now starting to make some for my nephews. Lots of fun and they enjoy seeing their quilts change from month to month.

I started out with wall Hangings - Banners for each month. I figured that each one gave me an introduction to different piecing techniques (HST, flying geese, paper piecing, log cabin, applique, etc). These also gave me an opportunity to practice quilting on a smaller scale, and binding. I have moved on to baby quilts, lap quilts, quillows, a queen and a king sized quilt. Now I'm doing a paper piecing wallhanging each month to work on that technique. I have really enjoyed learning how to quilt this way - and my confidence is building - a little!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am still learning to quilt, I have done the doll quilts, and am all most finished with my sons birthday TV size quilt, but I will be making bed size quilts here in the near future. God bless. Penny

Blog Entries
    I do all bed or throw quilts - no wall hangings so far.

Banned
    putting myself open to brick bats, dare I say that in the main I do not really care for wallhangings except perhaps themed ones at xmas/ halloween etc; am sure that they are made with love as are bed end covers but do not see any need for either. sorry, but do like anything that I make to have a use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast