Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wall hanging question >

wall hanging question

wall hanging question

Old 08-14-2007, 12:14 PM

I have never made a wall hanging. I have some halloween fabric, so I have developed a pattern Now after I quilt it can I add a fake back or straps so I can add cardboard or something to keep it stiff or will it not need it. give me some of that wonderful free advice :D
Old 08-14-2007, 12:26 PM

There are no quilt police here so you can do anything that you want. I personally have never made a wall quilt but have seen several and I have never seen or noticed one that had cardboard in it. Maybe it has been there and I didn't notice it but I say make the quilt, see how it hangs and if you feel you need the cardboard go ahead and add it. There is no right or wrong when it comes to quilts.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:45 PM

I have made a few wall hangings. I make a sleeve from muslin and stitch it to the back of the quilt. I have trouble with the larger wall hangings as they sag a bit so I don't think I am placing the sleeve in the best position. Some of the smaller ones are hanging just fine. I would hesitate to sew cardboard inside just in case you wanted to wash it at some point (dust or whatever).
Old 08-14-2007, 01:15 PM

Ruth,
I make my wall hanging just like a regular quilt.
I don't hang them according to protocol though. I use a staple gun! I just staple those babies up and I tack the bottom corners as well. Hey, it's my quilt I can poke holes if I want to! Right?:mrgreen: It works for me!
Actually, I have a couple that I've hung with tacks. The bottom is hanging free. They look fine. The very small quilts that I display on hangers hang straight with no problem. I think as long as your quilt will lie flat it will hang that way also.