Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wall Hanging >

Wall Hanging

Wall Hanging

Old 03-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

You might enjoy looking at the special hangers here www.ackfeldwire.com. If you make your own hanger, the method will depend on what you choose to hang it with. On a relatively small quilt you can use a fairly narrow rod or piece of dowel. A larger heavier quilt will need more support so the quilt doesn't sag in the middle. Some people like the triangle corners for putting the dowel/rod ends into. Some people like to sew a sleeve along the top and run the dowel/rod through it. Some people like to make decorative hanging tabs to run a decorative rod through. It will depend on what you are going to use to hang the dowel/rod on. 3M command hooks, nails, brackets etc.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 PM

I make 2 shorter hanging sleeves (rather than 1 long one) for the backs of most of my wall hangings sized to finish at least 1 inch in from each side and 1 inch to the left and right of center of the back of the quilt. DH uses leftover hardwood flooring to make 3/4 inch wide sticks exactly the length I ask for with a center hole for a nail. The stick goes thru both sleeves and then onto the nail which remains completely hidden and the quilt completely flat to the wall. My largest wall quilt thus far hung this way is 45 inches wide. Works fine as long as there is no draft or air movement to disturb it. The 2 inch center space allows for adjustment one way or the other. I often sew the sleeves raw edges directly into the binding seam at the top of the quilt and trim some to reduce bulk, slip stitching just the bottom of the sleeves. Works for me!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Have you heard of "Hang it, Dang it". I've seen them at a number of quilt show and thought they would work well.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 AM

Default Wall Hanging

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson View Post
I am in the middle of making a rather large wall hanging 36 inches by 30 inches, in all your expertise what is the best method so that the quilt hangs as close to the wall as possible, if you use a rod across the top does this make the quilt hang away from the wall?
I measure the width of my wall hanging, decide how wide I want the hanger, go down to the hardware store and ask them to cut me a piece of plexi glass that will be about 2" longer than the sleeve. I mark where I want the holes made and my husband drills them for me. I use finishing nails to hang it. It lays nice and flat against the wall. Normally I just get the thinner plexi glass. If it is a wall hanging that maybe has embellishments on it that makes it a little heavier, I may get the thicker plexi glass. For one that would be a bit larger than yours, I have also made a sleeve on the bottom and just had the thicker plexi glass cut to that length so the weight of it "pulls/holds" down the wall hanging nice and straight.