Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wall Hangings

Wall Hangings

I am planning on making some walling hangings. I was wondering what batting would be the best for them to hang well?

Blog Entries
    i try to use some of the stiffer battings. people give me their cut offs when squaring their quilts and i can usually piece them together for a WH. never sure which brand they are.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I use thin batting whatever I can get my hands on. Never had a problem. I do not wash them very often, but put them through the dryer on a fluff setting after they have hung on the wall for the length of time I need them to.

Power Poster
    I just use my regular 80/20 batt but square up all the way through. I sometimes use the machine binding with flange as it makes an extra sturdy binding to help the edge stay straight.

It depends on what you want to feature... the piecing, applique, quilting? If you want the quilting to really pop, a double batting with a wool batting being the top layer will really accentuate your quilting. If you want the wall hanging to be flatter and show off the applique or piecing, maybe go with a cotton or cotton/poly blend.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I use Warm and Natural for everything. Never had a problem.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I've used Warm and Natural as well as Hobbs 80/20 with no problems.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I use the same batting that I use for quilts. Not a problem.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I use pretty much whatever I have pieces of that I can cobble together to fit and it all seems to work out. I've even used fusible that I didn't fuse and it was fine.

Watson

Below is the post I made with the same question. I ended up using warm and natural batting with scrim.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t222191.html

Blog Entries
    warm and natural 80/20 keeps it hanging straight and flat.

I usually use fusible fleece on the front and on the backing. Sometimes I quilt through just the front, and other times I quilt through both layers. Hangs well either way.

Power Poster
    PERSONALLY, I like to use fusible fleece, as it seems to give me a better batting, especially for wall hangings. That's my personal preference. I also like using it in placemats, table runners, as well as handbags.

I've had good luck with fusible fleece for wallhangings and if there is an area that I want the quilting to pop or I want a trapunto effect I will add a layer of scrap batting on top of that. I've also used warm and natural with the scrim and liked that as well, again adding another layer of whatever I've got left over in the scrap bin if I want more definition to the quilting or want a trapunto effect. I've also had good luck with different battings scraps that I've zigzagged together, but sometimes these have been a little more problematic n terms of thread breakage or other tension problems while FMQ, due to the different densities of the types of batting and thread build up from too many small pieces zigzagged together-- this has produced some interesting effects on my art quilts, but probably wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

I use warm and natural scraps from my larger quilts. It always seems like I have a placemat width strip the length of the quilt. I have been know to sew two battings together for wall hangings, they don't get the wear of a true quilt.

Thermolam. Table runners lay flat, wall hangings hang straight. It is what the women at the LQS recommend and what they use for store samples. I tried it and really like the results. It is too dense for quilts.

I really like Quilter Dream 70/30 Blend, W&N they hang nicely.

Also I have seen where the put triangles in all four sides in the corners; and place a small to medium size dowel at the top and the bottom to keep the hanging straight.
    Education makes a people easy to lead;difficult to govern; and impossible to enslave