Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Walmart fabric

I don't go the Walmart often, but stopped there the other day to pick up some thread. I was shocked. All the fabric is gone. We have been transformed to a party center. So sad. I didn't buy much fabric there but know some people who did.

GMA
    It is sad - don't know how many parties they have to plan for but they have lost a lot of memory building with the loss of fabric for quilts. Paper products go with the garbage - quilts stay around alot longer. Can't understand the thinking.

I buy my party supplies at the Dollar Store, but even if I didn't, I would boycott the party section at Walmart on principle......

Like most big box stores, Wally World looks at dollars produced for square footage used. While they sell fabric, it takes a large square footage area to merchandise and you also have to have employees to service it, two huge negatives from a profit standpoint. It's strictly a dollars and cents thing for them. They don't really care about servicing the customers needs, just how much money an area can produce is their focus. With party supplies, all they need is someone to stock the shelves.

Walmart has forgotten what it takes. I hate to shop there, they are so un- responsive to customer needs. In our small town, you are almost forced to shop there because that's all there is. I hate having to purchase what they have on the shelf and not being able to purchase what I really want. It's a Catch 22, I can drive 60 or so miles to the big city and get what I want, but then I have to fill up the Jeep and spend 3 hours on the road. Sam Walton would turn over in his grave if he could see what his company is doing to it's customers. If there is any alternative, I use it even if I have to pay more.

Blog Entries
    Sam Walton was all about the dollar and big profit margins. The same way the company is run today. I'm more upset with the local quilt shop here. When the local Walmart did away with the fabric dept. the only fabric/quilt shop in town raised their prices that very day. One of the employees is a friend of mine and she said the owner came in at noon and said everything in the shop would be 30% more. From needles to battng. I will drive to the next town before I shop at that shop.

Banned
    sadly this is the way most local fabric stores and sections are going. please are shopping a lot online now instead of locally.

we used to have 5 quilting stores in the area and now we're down to 3.

[quote=BellaBoo]Sam Walton was all about the dollar and big profit margins. The same way the company is run today. I'm more upset with the local quilt shop here. When the local Walmart did away with the fabric dept. the only fabric/quilt shop in town raised their prices that very day. One of the employees is a friend of mine and she said the owner came in at noon and said everything in the shop would be 30% more. From needles to battng. I will drive to the next town before I shop at that shop. [/quote

Sad but so true! :cry:

While I don't applaud Ole Sam, he was about taking care of his customer base and buying American products and selling American products made by American workers and companies. The company he built is now one of the most prolific importers from China and they were one of the largest lobbyists along with Home Depot and several defense contractors to get legislation passed in 2004 that made it highly profitable to ship American jobs off shore. His daughter is a huge, in the terms of millions of dollars yearly, political player, using both parties at her beck and call. she plays both sides against the middle to her profit and gain. Truly a "Robber Baroness" of the 21st century. It's all public record, check it out.

Blog Entries
    Alice Walton lived in AR until she was cited for DUI. She was nasty to the officer kept shouting Do YOU KNOW WHO I AM!!! It was all over the news here, Little Rock AR. She moved soon afterward. No big loss and one drunk off the LR roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookn
    ... The company he built is now one of the most prolific importers from China and they were one of the largest lobbyists along with Home Depot and several defense contractors to get legislation passed in 2004 that made it highly profitable to ship American jobs off shore....

Thanks for saying it, it needs saying a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Alice Walton lived in AR until she was cited for DUI. She was nasty to the officer kept shouting Do YOU KNOW WHO I AM!!! It was all over the news here, Little Rock AR. She moved soon afterward. No big loss and one drunk off the LR roads.
    I know this isn't a popular complaint, 'cause it makes lots of money for lots of people. I'm speaking about the sales of alcohol in Walmart. Bet Alice approved :roll: That was when I really started noticing what was being sold to us. Everything coming from China and other foreign countries and now the material and related notions are disappearing. Like mentioned before, there really aren't many choices in some areas. We try to shop locally and then avoid Walmart as much as we can.

Power Poster
    I was upset when the embroidery floss was discontinued - among other things.

We are lucky in that we have several Walgreens close to us. I love that I can go get what I want w/o the 30mile hike to get it:)LOL Love their prints in photos too...S

I went to Walmart last week amd found the same thing. No fabric just wedding party stuff.

Blog Entries
    The one walmart, that I normally don't go to, had the fabrics on sale and I almost missed it. It was a couple of weeks ago and when I got there it was practically all gone, left were a dozen or so cotton bolts, fleece, and decorator/upholstery. Anything that needed to be cut was 75% off so I managed to find 5 cottons, some trims, ruffles and binding. I've been going back and forth to the other walmart that I usually go to, but no sale yet but the shelves are very slim.

I know, it seems like the store is empty without fabric. It used to carry Cranston Print Workds fabrics, which is a local company, but one cannot purchase from. There are a number of fabric stores and quilt shops around RI, CT and Mass. Alas, alas.

Blog Entries
    I refuse to shop at WalMart anymore. Even tho they are close by, and did away with the fabric dept. The last time I was in walmart (this was a couple years ago) I was in the meat dept buy food and pork chops were GREEN, uck. Will never give them another penny, even tho their prices fit my checkbook. As far as fabric, I prefer to support the independent quilt shop that is near me. Just don't buy near as much fabric as I used to. Oh, and I do shop Hancocks when they have sales, but I have to drive further.

Melinda