Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart is selling fabrics ONLINE! >

Walmart is selling fabrics ONLINE!

Walmart is selling fabrics ONLINE!

Old 05-01-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Barbara Hudson
Our Wal-Mart use to sell cloth,then discontunied it.Does that mean I can still have my order to that store?
Yes you can. You pick up at customer service once you get your email that your order is in. Free shipping to the store. BONUS!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:04 PM

Our Wal-Mart use to sell cloth,then discontunied it.Does that mean I can still have my order to that store?
Yes, if your store has "Ship to Store", anything can be shipped.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by goonberrie
Dear Ladies-I realize that with the economy and our American dollar buying less, I am faced with similiar challenges, but,let's consider our local quilt store owners-they are struggling to provide us with products, classes, and customer service. My local gal, 30 miles away has gone out her way to help the crafters in our area. WalMart here does not carry fabric, here and a few notions, and FORGET customer service. Not to be a wet blanket, ladies, but just another perspective.
And if some people do not have a local quilt store, then do they quit quilting? We have been to many cities that do not have LQS.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:26 PM

I have to check this out!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:32 PM

You can order and have it sent to the store and the shipping is free. It's called site to store, I think. froggyintexas
Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by dottientx
It's a very competive world and I'm trying to make my dollars go as far as I can make them go. If I can't make my purchases at Neiman Marcus anymore then I'll have to go to Orbachs. Same with independently owned stores or the big chains. Or do I have to stop buying fabrics to continue with my most enjoyable hobby that's right up there with knitting?
I'm glad to know that someone understands the nature of economic competition, which is generally the controlling characteristic of capitalism. Big grocery chains like Tom Thumb, Albertsons, etc., certainly put a dent in mom and pop grocery stores.

MacDonald's, Sonic, etc., put a dent in mom and pop hamburger restaurants. It is sad to see the demise of those businesses, but you can't have a capitalist economy without expecting the laws of supply and demand to be in operation.

Consumers have a right, perhaps a duty, to look after their economic self-interest as much as business has a right to look after its self-interest.

There are many things about WalMart that I object to, but there are many others that I thoroughly approve of. In general, at least at this time, the positives outweigh the negatives.

The same is true of Neiman-Marcus, but I can't usually afford to shop there.

At our WalMart fabric counter, the clerks were knowledgeable, courteous and helpful, interested in the projects that I and other quilters were involved in as well as making suggestions about sewing apparel. They helped me find really awful and cheap fabric to use to cover school bulletin boards as well as helping me find absolutely lovely fabric with as good a hand as I have ever found in LQS. I hope those women will be ones manning the restored fabric department.

It is time to stop writing off fabric just because it isn't bought at a LQS or to praise it just because it is. Quality is quality wherever we find it.

froggyintexas
Old 05-02-2011, 04:18 AM

My perspective on independently owned quilt shops was changed dramatically last month when I visited 36 of the 39 quilt shops in my state. These shops have all gone together to form an independents group which allows them to go together and buy their fabrics and other wares in bulk quantities, good move, they all save some money. But what I found odd is that the shops that were way out in the rural areas of the state charged far less money for their fabrics and notions than the shops that were closer to or within the larger cities. This is the direct polar opposite of what we see with the pricing on food, fuels, clothing and other necessities. It did not appear that supply and demand was what was driving the drastic changes in pricing. Something else that is always noticeable to me is that the staff in the rural areas is ALWAYS much more friendly and helpful than what I find in most of the cities (Kearney excluded). Having lived in the largest city of the state for the majority of my life, and now living in one of the least populated areas it's hard for me to believe that the shops that are having problems are having them because some people shop at discount stores or big box stores. If that were true there would not be any small independents out here in the country. Incidentally, the Walmarts that are out here in the central and western part of the state did NOT take out their fabric departments so the rural LQS are competing with them just as much or more than the shops in the cities which did loose their fabric sections. To me the poor LQS thing doesn't seem to hold any water, at least not in my state. Just another perspective.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Thanks Fay I appreciate you telling me this. Now all I have to do is make my mind up on what to choose for my next quilt.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Oh, I just put this up as a separate post because I couldn't find this thread ("Just got My WM Fabrics ... They're great ..."). Then, of course, I relocated this thread. Sigh.

Anyway, I'll put it here too as I thought you'd like to know what the goods were like:

The other day there was a post about WM having available fabric online (but I was unable to locate it to post this info).

There had been some discussion of quality, etc., but I ordered nonetheless as the prices were such that even if I had to use the fab's for lesser projects, it would be worth it and we would know.

Well I got them today and examined each and every one very closely. In short, I am quite impressed. These are nothing like the sometimes "gauzy" buck or two a yard stuff sometimes on their sales counters when they had them, but nice stuff. I will use them in all but lifetime heirlooms of which I don't make that many and usually make special purchase for them anyway.

Anyway, for the time being, online purchases are done only in precuts (2 yards on the regular cotton fab's), and other lengths as shown. Also, you can only buy 1 precut at a time, i.e., if you need 6 yards of one fab, you can't get three packages on the same purchase ... only one per.

There was some discussion also that their "cottons" were not 100% cotton. I examined that as well. They are indeed 100% cotton and nicely printed, etc.

I also got a few of the Baby Quilt kits. I have gotten stung on kits from LQS and other onlines, so was somewhat hesitant. These are great and the backings included with the BQ tops are beautifully coordinated prints. Just pillowcase construct those puppies and you won't even need to bind them. Very nice, and the instructions for that are included in the kit as well.

Here are the items I got and it’s free if shipped to your nearest store for pickup. My pre-tax cost for all of this was just $72.73.

Three Baby Quilt kits – very nice including the top and coordinated back - $9 each
Three yard cut of 108” wide bleached muslin - $6
Four 2-yard cuts of 100% cotton prints, nice - $7 each
One and a half yards of 56” wide 100% cotton denim (lightweight) - $8

Here's the link:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...onstraint=2637

We're 50 miles from our nearest Wal-Mart, so online is my normal mode of purchase. I will check our stores next time we go to town and see if they've begun to reintroduce the fabrics there as well. Sure hope so.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:17 PM

Jo, thanks for reporting back to us with such a great description of what you found. I feel very encouraged at this point. The price for all that you got is phenomenal and makes me feel like it's 1991 at Walmart again! That's wonderful news, thanks so much for your post.

Rose L