Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart sewing machines >

walmart sewing machines

walmart sewing machines

Old 10-11-2013, 10:07 PM

I have 2 sewing machines and one embroidery machine that came from Wal-Mart that are Brother machines. One is 18 years old, one is 10 years old and the embroidery machine is 3 years old. All three have drop in bobbins. They all still work great. I love mine. My mom has one from Wal-Mart and she is happy with it. I bought my daughter-in-law one from Wal-Mart for Christmas several years ago and as far as I know it still works fine.

Wal-Mart used to sell a Brother quilting machine. Not for sure if they still do. It had a lot of quilting stitches, a quilting foot and a larger throat.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:39 PM

I've purchased 3 Brother sewing machines from Walmart and all 3 are still in good working order. the oldest is an $80.00 machine about 7 years old. I've never had any problems sewing any types of fabric with them. I really like my cs6000i machine but it is now a backup to my Brother PC420 purchased at a local dealer. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another machine from Walmart.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:05 PM

I do any of my fmq on my old walmart brother machine. I don't drop the feed dogs(can't) and don't cover them. Those things just got in the way. I don't even set my stitch length to 0. I just sit down and go for it. Not perfect. But then I don't do that much and it is only for myself and family.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:17 AM

i have a brother and sew with it all the time .has anyone heard of a simplicity made by janome my son bought one off e-bay must be an old one heavy but sews great he repaired a camping tent with it
Old 10-12-2013, 03:34 AM

I have bought several machines from Walmart about 10 for my after school sewing group . They were Brothers and I bought them in the Black Friday sale and they work really well . Used them with 4 th and 5th graders . They held up very well. I also brought a fancier Brother for my self for less than $100 and it works like a charm . Like one poster said, people just like ragging on Walmart but buy the same item from a LQS they would be singing its praises . Go figure !!
Old 10-12-2013, 03:37 AM

I highly recommend the basic Brother machine that I got at Walmart. I used one of them for several years, before I got my Featherweight. Then passed it on to a friend who did not have a machine. Then I bought my daughter one last Christmas.
I will say that for a plastic machine they are well worth the price. For $100 or less you can get a good basic machine that will do what you need for basic sewing. And if it breaks after however many years, you've still gotten your money's worth.

All that having been said, I still prefer my Featherweight for piecing. No machine that is set up to do zigzag will ever make as nice a straight stitch as a straight stitch only machine.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:57 AM

I have a brother machine from wal mart and I love it. It is a quilting and embroidery machine together and I can do all I want and more on it. It is a light machine so it is easy to take to class or what ever and it sews like a charm.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:57 AM

I have a brother from Walmart. I got it because it was very light weight. Since my Phaff1475 died I have been using it daily. Don't know how long it will last, but since it was only $98. with my discount, I probably have already got my money out of it.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:00 AM
Swap Hosts

I bought a Brother at Walmart for my daughter in law and liked it so much that I got a second one for me! I don't remember whether or not the feed dogs dropped, but they were really excellent little machines for piecing and stitch in the ditch quilting. They were both destroyed in Sandy, and if she ever gets situated again with enough room for a sewing room, I'll get her another. I should add that I originally bought her a Singer at Target and it was so awful that I brought it back.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:09 AM

I have the Disney Brother sewing/ embroidery machine from Walmart. It does everything that my bigger machines do.I usually take it in our rv when we travel. I use it for piecing, too small to quilt on. I only made one or two embroideries. The Mickey Mouse feature was what got me!!! I have been using it for 7 winters without trouble. I think I paid 500 dollars.