Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WaMart >

WaMart

WaMart

Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Someone said on another message she was told all Walmarts will have fabric by end of July
That I doubt! One about 10 miles west of me and another about 13 miles west will probably NEVER have fabric. They consider themselves too upscale for mundane stuff like cloth.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Terri Deweber
Our store in Denison, Tx was given the word this last week that it would not be going away as planned. In fact, it will be almost doubleing in size. Our store already has a great selection and pretty good prices. I sometimes can find the same fabric at Walmart as at Joanns for less. I am just thrilled. The Sherman store, about 10 minutes down the same hwy 75 will be remodeling to put theirs back in. YEA!! The manager said it would be going back into 2000 stores.
Here's the real question? When a WW representative tells you that fabric is coming back, are they talking about the precuts and kits like my store has-----------or a real, honest to gosh fabric department?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 PM

I believe that if they do the ones I have been seeing is bringing back the precut fabrics.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by mar32428
Walmart's problem is like so many stores. Their corporations are usually run by men and the stores are managed by men. The grocery corporations finally got smart and started putting women in charge of design etc. I don't care how much schooling they have. Men simply don't understand enuf about women and the way we think and shop. Wonder how much they lost with all this shifting and remodeling.
I don't do my major shopping at Wally World anymore. Stuff is too hard to find. Some aisles run N-S, some E-W, the aisles are not marked as to content.

I can't remember what chain near my DD's near DC has it , but one store has an aisle by aisle shopping list you can use to map out your purchases. So the snack aisle would have chips, cookies, candy bars, whatever listed.

All you had to do was check the box for the item you wanted. Then proceed thru the store picking up items easily as you go. If you remembered half way thru the store you need granola bars, you could go back to teh snack aisle or cereal or whereever the store kept them.

With WW even the employees can't keep up with where crap is moved to.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by owlvamp
I believe that if they do the ones I have been seeing is bringing back the precut fabrics.
We had a real fabric department to begin with---------got precuts after the remodel. @@
Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
The reason that they got rid of fabric in most stores was because it was not cost effective in that the dollars taken in versus the area space plus the hourly wage of employees didn't cut it. Where their logic was wrong is the fact that those workers in that dept also had to work the craft and party goods aisle, those all being in the same general dept. In my store, and many, these depts were placed at opposite ends of the store, more or less, and when working in crafts, most certainly could not hear the pathetic dingy bell clear over in fabric. What they can't understand is, if someone is there at all times to cut fabric for customers, the dollars coming in would be worth the man hours in wages. Many times you will see people leave the bolts on the cutting table and leave, they have other things to do rather than standing there ringing a little bell. Why they can't understand this is just beyond my comprehension.
very well stated!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
I commented to a little gal in the Dallas, OR, Wal-Mart that it looks like they are keeping it and she said as long as the "business" is there to support it. They have added some pretty nice bolts back in and there is a bin of $5 which is the 2 yds left on the end of a bolt - and they did tell me they would cut an order as small as 1/8 yd! Anyway, looks like we are okay now. Their thread selection is -okay- I wish they had more. I went back to buying cones online. I also started noticing some of the online fabrics and may give that a try.

Marysewfun
cut 1/8 of a yard???????????? when their accuracy is +/- 4 inches each end????????? too funny!

back to ripping lol
Old 05-26-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jazz
The quilters of San Antonio, TX collectively petitioned their mayor to speak to WalMart on their behalf to not discontinue their fabric and notions line. WalMart agreed and that's why the stores there never interrupted selling them.

Now that JoAnn's has been sold -- and their quality and selection has declined, and their prices have gone up, and many of their long-time employees have been replaced by part-time non-sewers -- WalMart's replacing their fabric and sewing departments in many of their stores.

In the meantime, though, I'm shopping at Hobby Lobby.
Our HL seems to be reducing their fabric lines.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
Our Wal-Mart in Green Bay, remodeled thier regular size store to make a Super-Wal-Mart. They took out the fabric section and refuse to bring it back. You would think after adding all that room they would listen to thier regular people in the area, but they won`t put it back in. We do have those 1 yard pre-packaged things that no one wants. I was told to go the DePere, they have minable amounts and it`s way to far to go for that. I do not shop at any Wal-Mart now,but we did buy every thing for the house before the remodel and usually left about $100.00 every time we were there.
One thing that happened in our remodel is that the store quit carrying several brands of each item. For instance---onion soup mix. I hate the Lipton brand, and prefer the Campbell brand. but WW quit carrying it. @@ Same story all over the store. Just a couple brands of cake mix. Eliminated a bunch of the non-white breads. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 05-26-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Daleen
Our Walmart in Lewis Center, Ohio was remodeled this past spring and all the fabric was sold in two weeks. The batting, thread, notions, and mats were put in an aisle marked Home Entertainment. The fabric is sold in two yard increments and is available in cotton, fleece and maybe flannel. Perhaps 7-10 choices in prints are available. Our store also stocks jelly rolls and fat quarters. I've tried the cotton fabric. It was thin and see-through. I'm glad that the thread, needles, batting and other notions are still available.
I tried to buy a large spool of WHITE thread. Sold out. Then looked for winter white or pale cream. No go. Also, not one spool of black. okay---------i'm going to shut up. I'm getting mad just thinking about it