Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Want to buy a new sewing machine >

Want to buy a new sewing machine

Want to buy a new sewing machine

Old 08-09-2018, 04:21 PM

I thought when I mived up in machine size that I would get a Skyline. I loved everything except the throat size. Really knew I’d quickly be frustrated with trying to bigger quilts unless I went with the 11”. So I got a Janome 8200. Absolutely Love it ! Less money than the 8900 but has all the features (and then some) my wish list.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
That would be the semi-industrials 2010Q, 2200QV, etc. The domestic Jukis still have a lot of plastic in them.

Have you seen the new Berninas with the Jumbo bobbin that holds 75% to 80% more thread than the regular Bernina bobbin! They also have the built-in Dual feed -- like the Pfaffs. And the throat is bigger. If you're a Bernina girl, you might want to see those before you go to Babylock.
As one "Bernina girl" to another...please look at the new Berninas....I have a recent experience that is applicable to this thought... A friend comes over to sew quite often and recently she brought mostly hand work but at one point in the day needed a machine and she hadn't brought hers... hers is a relatively new Janome...a nice machine. But I threaded up by Bernina and she used it for a few minutes... when she came back downstairs where I was she could only say... "wow... really nice machine..."

I think the phone rang about that time so I didn't follow up her comment with any conversation... but she's been sewing a looooooonnnggg time and her comment was spontaneous.

Just thought I'd add that...
Good luck deciding!!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:56 AM

If you are focusing on piecing and quilting I recommend the Juki-I have the 2000. Love it. I rarely use my Brother ULT unless I am doing garment sewing where I might need more than a straight st. I also got to test drive the Janome Skyline S7 a while back. If I was in the market for an all-purpose machine it would get my vote(and I have always been partial to Brothers)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:01 PM

My local shop sells everything but Berninas. His best recommendation is the Baby Lock Crescendo. He says it will out sew any of the machines in his shop, including the Phaff.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:34 AM

I love my Babylocks - Unity and Destine ll. Great features, easy to learn and use. I learned the hard way that having a good, accessible and reliable dealer makes all the difference.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina and if I were in your situation I'd buy another Bernina.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina, Janome (2), Brother (2), Singer (3), and had a Pfaff. I find I use my Brother the most. I have sewn on a BabyLock and there wasn't enough difference between that and my Brother or Janome to matter. I have sewn on the new Golden Bernina. It sew a straight line like my other machines. I still say all new machines are about alike. Different features is all I have noticed. My favorite machine I take to classes and workshops is the Eversewn 30.