Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wanting a longarm -- Bailey anyone? or midarm...

Blog Entries

Wanting a longarm -- Bailey anyone? or midarm...

I have been wanting a longarm.. I was thinking of getting a Bailey because of money being short.. and that way if it isn't for me, I could always sell... ( don't that would be an issue. ) I have a graceframe all ready.. so all i need is a machine.. Anyone want to give me advise on this.... What midarm should I look at....
    Squirrelly Shirley

The Bailey's have a good reputation from from I've read. I have a few friends that have them and they're very satisfied with their machine and the customer service. When I have the money and the room, the Bailey is what I'll buy.

I have a 15" Bailey, I'm very satisfied.

I have a Babylock Quilters Choice Pro midarm. Its been used for one full size quilt. I just don't think I'll ever get around to setting it up and learning how to use it so I'm thinking about selling it. Its' just been sitting in its box for the last 5 years. I have a new joy 12" frame for it too, also never put up. If you might be interested send me a message. I haven't looked to see what it might be worth. It was given to me by my mother.

I have had a Bailey 13 " Home Quilter since 2008 Runs smoothly and never regretted
    the fact it was not larger. Works fine for me. I made about 2 dozen quilts a year....
    June in Cincinnati

I have a HQ16 that I got used. I love it!

Check what you can online for different used machines. The prices just might surprise you.

I even have a paragraph in my 'trust' designating the person who will be in charge of finding homes for all my quilting & sewing items. Unfortunately life is finite.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I see mid-arm machines mentioned often ...

Is it basically any of the DSMs with the oversized throat? or by definition what are they?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I have Bailey 17" pro on Majestic frame. No regrets here. If you are ever in Long Island you are welcome to stop way and give it a try. Just send me a message.
    I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me
    The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me
    I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose
    I've been battered, but I'll never bruise

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I see mid-arm machines mentioned often ...

Is it basically any of the DSMs with the oversized throat? or by definition what are they?
    Definitions vary, but IMHO a longarm is 18" or larger, a midarm is 13"-17", and anything smaller is a shortarm or DSM. (If there's a distinction between shortarm and DSM I haven't heard it - yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Definitions vary, but IMHO a longarm is 18" or larger, a midarm is 13"-17", and anything smaller is a shortarm or DSM. (If there's a distinction between shortarm and DSM I haven't heard it - yet.)
    Thanks Dunster ... so it doesn't matter whether you stand or sit to operate? And purely the throat size.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I have a Little Gracie II and am considering the purchase of a Bailey 17" machine. Will that fit on the Little Gracie II, or do I need to go to a 15"?

Hobbypatches; I am new to this board, from Saskatchewan and have had a Bailey 15" (which i am selling, cause I got an incredible deal on a HQ16), but I had mine on a GMQ pro frame. Personally I would not put a 17" machine on a LG II, I don't think you would have the room to use it to its full capacity, especially if you want to put a ruler base on it. I have had really good luck with my machine and I was even considering getting a 17" because they are suppose to be really nice. Good luck with your decision.

I am a happy owner of Bailey Pro 17 E machine with Grace Majestic Frame and the more I use it, the more I am happy I got it! No elelctronic/computer parts are there to break down, and it is easy to maintain and keep clean.

Hobbypatches, I just looked up the Grace II frame...it takes machines with up to 16" inch throat space, so it will take a Bailey with 15" throat space. Good luck!

I have the 17" Bailey and love it. No problem doing king size or anything else.