Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Warm Wishes Quilt pattern question

I have done a search on the list for the Warm Wishes quilt. I am wanting to make one. Thing is they have it at 6" squares I am wanting to do it 6 1/2" so I can use my Accuquilt Go machine. The 3 strips that are in between the squares, would it look ok with 3 2 1/2" strips, or should the middle one be wider? If so would a 2 inch on each side and a 3 1/2" in the middle work, or is it too wide? Just asking.

Sibyl

Blog Entries
    I use the wider one in the middle and the two sides the same. You would need a total of 7 inches in your strips, subtract the seam allowances to make 6 1/2 inches. I suggest 2 inch plus 2 inch plus 3 inch equals 7 inches.

Blog Entries
    I prefer the larger strip in the middle, but it really would not matter. I just like the way it draws attention to the size differences.

Oh I am wanting it to be 6 1/2 prior to sewing---so the 2 inches on side and 3 1/2 in the middle would give me the 6 1/2 inch total wouldn't it?

Sibyl

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    I use the wider one in the middle and the two sides the same. You would need a total of 7 inches in your strips, subtract the seam allowances to make 6 1/2 inches. I suggest 2 inch plus 2 inch plus 3 inch equals 7 inches.

Thanks bunches, that is what I was wondering. I was just wanting that extra 1/2 inch to use the machine. I'll do it that way then.

Sibyl

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I prefer the larger strip in the middle, but it really would not matter. I just like the way it draws attention to the size differences.

Blog Entries
    I don't blame you, it would be much easier to use a machine than to cut each. I don't have any kind of machine, so my rotary cutter is my best friend when cutting.

I just finished this quilt. Did it in Blues. I cut my sq. at 6 1/2 in to make the 6" finished sq. I cut my strips #1 at 2", # 2 at 3 1/2, and #3 at 2" the widest is the middle strip.

So this gives you a finished strip that you will cut into 6 1/2 sq.

Blog Entries
    2 plus 2 plus 3.5 equals 7.5
    for 6.5 you need
    2 plus 2 plus 2.5 BUT when you put those together it will NOT EQUAL 6.5 because of your two 1/4 inch seam allowances SO

you need 2 plus 2 plus 3 equals 7 minus 1/2 inch for 2 seams equals the same 6 1/2 as the other block.

2 + 2 + 3.5 are what I use all the time to get the 6 1/2 in wide. (I use 6 1/2 in wide ruler to cut my 6 1/2 in squares.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplemem

you need 2 plus 2 plus 3 equals 7 minus 1/2 inch for 2 seams equals the same 6 1/2 as the other block.
    This is going to be 6", not 6 1/2".

Blog Entries
    Two seams equal a subtraction of 1" (1/2 for each seam), so you do need 2+3.5+2=7.5 then minus 1=6.5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Two seams equal a subtraction of 1" (1/2 for each seam), so you do need 2+3.5+2=7.5 then minus 1=6.5
    why 1/2 inch for each seam? I thought 1/4 inch? Duh! because of the double seam...

Irish is right! as usual

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Thanks that is what I was thinking---thanks for reassuring my measurements.

Sibyl

I made mine with a 6.5 inch fussy cut floral and 3 strips all cut 2.5" and it worked fine. I think making the middle strip a little wider looks good, too but I'm all about simple math--LOL!

I am into simple math also. That was one reason I wanted to use my GO because it is easy for me. Can't wait to go to the fabric store on Wednesday to choose some fabric. Gotta get Christmas presents made. Quilts sound like a good thing to make.

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    I made mine with a 6.5 inch fussy cut floral and 3 strips all cut 2.5" and it worked fine. I think making the middle strip a little wider looks good, too but I'm all about simple math--LOL!