Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Warning! Pins and needles in your mouth

My goodness! This has never happened to me. I think I would have panicked if I had pins in my throat. I have done it rarely, but now, I think I will stop all together.

Oh my gosh, that must have been so scarry! I remember in 7th grade one of the boys in Home Ec swallowed a pin...at least he SAID he did, we wondered if he just wanted to go home, lol!
    After that I was always too scarred to stick any in my mouth!

Thank goodness you got them out--I am bad about this.

Walmart has 5 yards of fabric for $5.00. They are on 5 yard bolts and you have to look through them.

I do it all the time but after reading this I will never do it again.

I toss mine in a magnetic bowl I keep next to my machine.

magnetic bowl
    Name:  Attachment-75966.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  74.4 KB

I admit it...I was guilty of this bad habit. If the prospect of swallowing pins isn't enough to break the habit I offer this observation. If you ever sew with another person or group (like a bee or at a retreat) and you borrow pins or share pins you might just be putting pins in your mouth that have been in someone else's mouth and visa versa. This mental picture has just about broken my habit.

I have a friend who was vacuuming and came across a pin, picked it up, stuck it in her mouth. Continued cleaning and when she was done, wondered where the pin was. Long story short, she ended up in the ER, xrays, $$$$, etc. To hear her tell the story (now that it is over) is hilarious, she even made a quilt replicating the story.

I do the same thing DonnaJean---stick them in my shirt. Got that one from my Granny

I do this all the time! Learned it from my Grandma. Guess I'll be making a wrist pin cushion this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    I went to a quilt show last fall and was talking to the elder quilter. She asked me if I was interested in her lastest hint. I said sure. She reached in her bag and gave me a small pincushion. It had velcro on the bottom. (Both pieces) She told me to stick it to the side of my machine. She told me I was going to be surprised at how much I would like this hint. I did stick it on my machine. When I got a new machine it was moved. It is so handy.
    How nice was she?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edie
    Try this: Pin in right hand, pin into blouse/top and bra - left boob. Opposite if you are left handed. Very easy to reach, very convenient - just hope to heaven you don't deflate. I have been known to go to the store with pins in my boob! It works! Edie
    You just gave me an idea for a funny falsie insert-able pincushion. :mrgreen:

I did this all the time till one day I was taking care of my grandson and he picked something up off my sewing room floor and looked at me and he had the straight pin in between his front teeth. Boy that was the end of sticking pins in my mouth after that

Pins--I have strip of mole foam (the stuff you put on your feet) stuck to the side of my sewing machine, as I take a pin out it gets stuck into the foam. Works for me and I don't have to worry about pins in my mouth.
    Ps be sure its mole foam not mole skin.

Pins--I have strip of mole foam (the stuff you put on your feet) stuck to the side of my sewing machine, as I take a pin out it gets stuck into the foam. Works for me and I don't have to worry about pins in my mouth.
    Ps be sure its mole foam not mole skin.

Re sticking pins in clothing. Years ago had a home ec teacher that had had a mastectomy. She would freak out all the new pupils by taking out the pins as she sewed and sticking them into her boob. I guess they were made out of foam or something back then, but I still remember her doing that and about fainting. grin. At least she taught us to have a sense of humor if life tossed one lemons.

Thank you for the reminder. I will think of these stories each time I am about to put a pin in my mouth and I wont do it!

forgot to mention making sure you put your scissors in a safe place. as a teenager i plopped down on the couch and got impaled by our sewing scissors. jumped up and there were the scissors sticking out of my left "cheek". got three sutures and tetanus shot and embarrassed like crazy.
    beware the scissors!

I have a dear friend who went barefoot in her sewing room and stepped on a needle without any thread attached. She felt the prick, but didn't think any more about it until she started suffering pain. She ended up in the hospital having the needle removed surgically as it traveled through her foot and was very hard to locate. Wear shoes when sewing.

Dee
    How scary. I have to quit this bad habit. I have stuck my tongue and lip. Not fun. Wonderful tip.

OMG, I'm glad you are ok! I have a habit of pinning them on my shirt and forget and go to bed. Luckily I never got stuck.

You know that would be scary ,and a person always thinks " that won't happen to me"

I remember when we used to visit my Grandmother years ago,you always had to watch where you sat down. She used everything for a pin cushion: the arm of the chair the drapes next to her chair her clothes or anything you could stick a pin in. I also had a Dashound ( I don't remember how to spell it)and he was acting funny. He kept putting his paws in his mouth and scratching at something. He had a needle stuck between a top and bottom molar. I sat him straight op in the corner of an arm chair and pull it out with with a pair of pliers. I couldn't believe he didn't bite me when I got it out. He wasn't the nicest dog. I have no Idea where he got it from but I have pulled croked pins out of my foot more than once when I would step on one and they would hit the bone and bend in a little wiggle. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
    Quote Originally Posted by Boopers
    I also did this. The solution is to use a magnet on your shirt. The soft craft kind. You cut two pieces, one under your shirt and the other on top to catch the pins. Works great.
    That is a fabulous idea! thank you.
    hugs
    April
    GENIUS!!!!!!! thanks!

I have held pins in my mouth my entire life until I started teaching my GD's to sew. As for putting them on my clothes...did that too but only on the right side. I always held my babies on my left shoulder.
    When I was sewing with my 201 Singer I always had a thick piece of wool wrapped around the top of it to stick pins in. I have not been able to figure out where to put a piece of wool on my Pfaff or Brother ULT until tonight. I like the hint of using velcro for the pin cushion to be fastened to the machine. It should work just as well with a pad of wool. By using wool pins do not rust and the wool fibers keep pins and needles slick and sharp.

Kas
    I put them in my mouth with the flower head part in my lips, not the pointy part for just that reason! I have to be careful not to kiss anyone, though!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast