Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash-away applique sheets >

Wash-away applique sheets

Wash-away applique sheets

Old 11-23-2011, 06:54 PM

OK, I guess I'm a little confused. Is this paper backed fabric that you print a picture on and then applique the image onto your quilt fabric and wash away the paper?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AprilG View Post
OK, I guess I'm a little confused. Is this paper backed fabric that you print a picture on and then applique the image onto your quilt fabric and wash away the paper?
No. It's a one-sided fusible that would be used in place of freezer paper to create appliques for machine stitching. Its advantage over freezer paper would be that it would not have to be removed (because it would sort of dissolve).

I just ordered a pack from Amazon to try out. My concern is that it may not be stiff enough to provide a good edge for turning under the seam allowance. I found that to be a problem for me with the stuff that Sharon Schamber uses. I'm thinking it's probably similar to hers, but with fusible on one side. If so, it's not going to work for me. However, guess I'll spend $10 and a little time to find out.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
No. It's a one-sided fusible that would be used in place of freezer paper to create appliques for machine stitching. Its advantage over freezer paper would be that it would not have to be removed (because it would sort of dissolve).

I just ordered a pack from Amazon to try out. My concern is that it may not be stiff enough to provide a good edge for turning under the seam allowance. I found that to be a problem for me with the stuff that Sharon Schamber uses. I'm thinking it's probably similar to hers, but with fusible on one side. If so, it's not going to work for me. However, guess I'll spend $10 and a little time to find out.
Thank you. I just use light fusible about 1/4" smaller than the applique. Then turn under the seam allowance, baste and press it in place. Then applique as usual. When applied to the quilt, just remove the basting and it' done. Is that too many steps? That is the way I was taught by my grandmother. Only instead of fusible backing, we just used paper pinned in place. The paper would be removed after we basted the seam allowance. I know that it takes longer, but the appliques are uniform in shape and size.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AprilG View Post
Thank you. I just use light fusible about 1/4" smaller than the applique. Then turn under the seam allowance, baste and press it in place. Then applique as usual. When applied to the quilt, just remove the basting and it' done. Is that too many steps? That is the way I was taught by my grandmother. Only instead of fusible backing, we just used paper pinned in place. The paper would be removed after we basted the seam allowance. I know that it takes longer, but the appliques are uniform in shape and size.
Interesting! That's not a technique I've heard of before. What fusible are you using? Is this for machine applique?

The technique I use is freezer paper prep for machine applique. I trace the applique shape onto the dull side of freezer paper with a permanent Sharpie pen, layer that piece on top of up to 5 additional pieces of freezer paper (if I need multiples), fuse the outer edges of the freezer paper together with a hot iron, then cut out the applique shape. (Results in up to 6 shapes cut from one tracing.)

I use a hot iron to fuse the freezer paper to the wrong side of fabric, then cut the shape out about 1/4" away from the freezer paper edge. Most people use a glue stick, but I prefer to use Elmer's school paste (comes in a small tub and smells like peppermint) to turn the seam allowance under. I like the freezer paper because it gives a firm edge to turn against; goes pretty fast, with a very accurate edge.

The appliques are sewn onto the background fabric by machine, using monofilament thread and a hem stitch that barely shows. (I heavily starch the background fabric first so I don't need to use a stabilizer.) After the entire quilt top is finished, I turned it upside down, moisten all the glued edges with water to soften the paste, then remove all the freezer paper templates.

My technique uses a lot of steps too, but many of the steps go pretty fast. The reasons I like this technique are (1) it allows me to get very accurate turns of the seam allowance, and (2) there is no added stiffness to the appliques.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:14 AM

I printed the pattern on my laser printer. The ink was facing away and Ithe applique pieces are dark green prints. We'll see. I may wash them before I stitch them down--or not.