Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash or Not? >

Wash or Not?

Wash or Not?

Old 02-24-2010, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

As soon as I get my fabric home it goes into the washer with warm water, then into the dryer on warmest heat, always do this with my quilt fabric. As soon as I finish hand sewing the binding on it goes into the washer and dryer, warm water and low heat. I don't like a stiff smooth quilt, I like the looks after it is laundered and it hides any flaws.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Missi
I recently got a hand me down front loader washing machine and use the speed cycle to do my pre-washing and I have noticed less raveling with the front loader.
I have some quilt care instructions that I printed off the internet. I put them in with quilts that I give away. They suggest using a front loader to wash because top loaders tend to pull at the fabric as they agitate. Front loaders spin instead of agitating, and so they are easier on fabrics. This was news to me. I don't have a front loader, but I can wash quilts and bedspreads at the local laundromat.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 PM

I seldom wash my fabrics first, except for reds - always
wash them first. Then I use Mary Ellens Best PRess. Love
that stuff.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:28 PM

I never wash my fabric - but I do that because I use cotton batting and I quilt my own quilts and because I am not a perfect quilter and I want my quilts to look very old. So, I do not wash my fabric I use syphol which is use for dying fabrics and it keep colors from running into other colors on the quilt when you wash the quilt. I also test a fabric if there is a concern it will run... it is a matter of opinion if you want to wash fabric or not and I read if you spray starch on the fabric when ironing it before cutting it, it helps brings the body back into the fabric.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by fayedear
I am wondering if it is really necessary to wash your fabric before cutting it. It seems so limp after washing, and the wrinkles seem to want to stay.
Thanks for helping this newbie.
I have learned from one really big running problem on a dear quilt I made almost six years ago.I made a blanket for my first grandbaby.It had the cutest saying on the back of it.it said (DO YOU SEE WHAT I SEE) ON A MIDNIGHT BLUE AN IT LOOKED LIKE IT HAD CLOUDS ON IT.WELL I DIDN'T WASH THE MATERIAL
AN IT RAN ALL OVER THE FRONT OF THE QUILT AN I WAS CRUSHED CAUSE THE MATERIAL WAS SOME A DEAR FRIEND HAD GIVEN ME.AN I COULDN'T FIND OR GET ANY MORE OF IT ANY WHERE.SO YES I WASH EVERYTHING FIRST.