Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash/not wash BATIK JELLY ROLL! >

Wash/not wash BATIK JELLY ROLL!

Wash/not wash BATIK JELLY ROLL!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 PM
QKO

We recommend soaking with Synthrapol, which is also a surfactant that will remove excess dyes for all batiks and hand-dyes. After your project is completed, using a color catcher for the first wash is also a good idea.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by QKO
We recommend soaking with Synthrapol, which is also a surfactant that will remove excess dyes for all batiks and hand-dyes. After your project is completed, using a color catcher for the first wash is also a good idea.
Sythrapol does not prevent further bleeding. It only keeps dyes that have been bleed in that one wash from from bonding to fabrics. It only bonds to dye that is released into the water. One of the issues when washing a quilt is when it has completed its wash cycle and has not yet been placed in the dryer. If sythropol is used its benifits leave with the wash water , and the damp fabric may continue to bleed and dye can migrate onto neighboring fabrics. Sythropol is recommended for quilts that have been constructed and there is no other choice.
Retayne bonds to the dye to prevent the bleed.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:18 PM

Do NOT pre wash - they will shrink and bleeding is easily taken care of with Shout color catchers. I've made many quilts with dark & light, batik and regular - no bleeding, but I use lots of color catchers in my first few washes. I always say, if I had to pre wash I would not quilt. Washing & ironing & starching is for the birds. If my hands were sensitive that is a different story. I wash after - love the crinkles.
Judi

Originally Posted by kwendt
Okay... I'm in a quandary. I've never used a JR before... and was gifted with one that's all batiks. Nice. Hot pinks and royal blues! So I want to use the blue strips in a blue and white nautical looking quilt (reserve the pinks for another quilt-centers for a flower log cabin).

THEN, when reading the 'how to use the jelly roll' instructions in the pattern book, it says... "DO NOT WASH" the jelly roll.

Well... omg. Don't I HAVE to? I cannot put a deep royal blue batik on a white batik background and not have the sucker run should I ever wash the top. (And of course, I will have to at some point!). Batiks bleed like crazy! Even the dye grabbers don't catch it all.

Maybe I can soak them carefully? Or wash them on delicate, putting them in lingerie zippered mesh bags? (Yes, I understand that I wash one fabric, gotta wash them all.)

Why don't you wash JRs? Is it that the fabric, being so small, will shred/run, tangle and mangle? Or is the problem the shrinking?

Help!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 PM
QKO

Originally Posted by Lori S
Originally Posted by QKO
Sythrapol does not prevent further bleeding. It only keeps dyes that have been bleed in that one wash from from bonding to fabrics. It only bonds to dye that is released into the water. One of the issues when washing a quilt is when it has completed its wash cycle and has not yet been placed in the dryer. If sythropol is used its benifits leave with the wash water , and the damp fabric may continue to bleed and dye can migrate onto neighboring fabrics. Sythropol is recommended for quilts that have been constructed and there is no other choice.
Maybe it wasn't clear in my initial post, but we don't recommend using Synthrapol in the washing machine, or washing batiks and hand-dyes in a washing machine at all before using, just soaking (in a sink) with it to remove excess dyes.

Retayne is also a good option as is using a color catcher on the first wash of the completed project.

Perhaps it wasn't clear that the recommendation was to use Synthrapol first, in addition to the other products.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by QKO
Originally Posted by Lori S
Originally Posted by QKO
Maybe it wasn't clear in my initial post, but we don't recommend using Synthrapol in the washing machine, or washing batiks and hand-dyes in a washing machine at all before using, just soaking (in a sink) with it to remove excess dyes.

Retayne is also a good option as is using a color catcher on the first wash of the completed project.

Perhaps it wasn't clear that the recommendation was to use Synthrapol first, in addition to the other products.
Sythropol and Retayne are really not compatable products. Once Sythropol is used.. the manufacture recommends warm washing for every wash thereafter. Once a fabric is treated with Retayne the manufacture recommends cold wash. When treating with Retayne... to be effective must get to 140 degrees.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM

Sythropol and Retayne - the debate rages on! lol....

Okay all. There's a lot to be said for both products and both applications.... but here's the deal, I prob. won't use either one.

Sorry... I'm one of those bohemian, green girl chicks who thinks... well heck, can I do the same job with something less harmful? (if either one is harmful to the environment, I don't know...) I did check out the Retayne... but couldn't get an ingredient list on it... anyone got one?

Saw the other post about not washing first, and dealing with the after effects later... hum. I cannot imagine that dark blue won't bleed on white. But I think I can re-think :grin: my backing fabrics and use a blue on white print or lite blue.

I like the idea of testing one strip... hot water... salad spinner... I'll see what happens... .
Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM
QKO

Rather than go back and forth about the relative merits of Synthrapol and Retayne, it might be better to just explain what they are and what they do, and let the rest of you make up your own mind about it.

We don't sell either one, so we don't have a dog in the fight so to speak. We do use Synthrapol and it's always met our needs re: using hand dyed fabrics for quilts.

Here's a pretty good "when to use" comparison of the two.

http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/store/home.php?cat=323
Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by QKO
Rather than go back and forth about the relative merits of Synthrapol and Retayne, it might be better to just explain what they are and what they do, and let the rest of you make up your own mind about it.

We don't sell either one, so we don't have a dog in the fight so to speak. We do use Synthrapol and it's always met our needs re: using hand dyed fabrics for quilts.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:56 PM
QKO

Originally Posted by QKO

Updated link for the above:

http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/home.php?cat=323
Old 10-31-2011, 03:05 PM

nope