Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To wash or not to wash..... >

To wash or not to wash.....

To wash or not to wash.....

Old 07-16-2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
I'm curious....after you finish a project that will be given to someone, do you wash it first or just give it "new"? What if it's for a small child?
I always wash fabric, but never washed the final quilt, becasue I wanted it to look new. But someone suggested that it be washed before giving to ensure it washes OK, so I'll try the the next time.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by ksea
Can I ask why you stopped prewashing your fabric, I thought that was a golden rule. I have washed every yard of fabric that I have brought into my home for the last 5 years, and then spend hours and hours and hours ironing it.
I was taught the same thing in my quilting class and I too have spent hours at the ironing board. Since joining this board, I have had numerous folks tell me if you're buying quality fabric, there is no need. (Unless it is a red/black high dye/bleedable fabric) My stash has all been washed and I haven't bought anything new recently but who knows......I might take the plunge and gasp.......not wash the next stack that comes into the house.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by ksea
Can I ask why you stopped prewashing your fabric, I thought that was a golden rule. I have washed every yard of fabric that I have brought into my home for the last 5 years, and then spend hours and hours and hours ironing it.
Because it just isn't neccessary. I don't even prewash reds anymore. Fabrics are dyed with chemical dyes. If they "bleed" and another fabric picks up the color it won't be set and will wash out. I buy good quality fabrics and as a rule they all shrink pretty much the same. Puckering is your friend. It covers a multitude of quilting mistakes.

And even if I did prewash I wouldn't spend hours and hours ironing it all just to have to iron it again when I was ready to use it. Why iron twice? Plus new fabrics have a finish on them to help prevent fading.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:27 AM

I do not wash, but for those of you who do wash, I have a question, You wash your top and backing fabric. So do you wash you batting? I use 100% cotton batting most of the time, so if your washing the top & backing (Preshrunk) and you don't wash your batting it is going to shrink and create puckers correct?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:36 AM

I wash all my material before using and I wash my quilts when I finish them. I use the dissapering pens and the water wash out pens to do my marking and I want to be sure the ink is out of them.
The finished quilts is washed with just cold water and put in the dryer on permapress, not completely dry tho.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:11 AM

I prewash all my fabrics before I put them in my stash.

As for the quilts...

If they're machine appliqued...I wash as part of the process.

If I used a blue washout marker or pencil or starch...they're washed.

If it's for a baby...it's washed.

Other than that...unwashed.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 AM

Due to allergies, I have to prewash the fabric when I get it home, so unless I see some dirt on it, I do not prewash the finished quilt before giving.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I always wash mine. Just to make sure it washes well and there are no problems.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:02 AM

I usually leave a little "DNA" here and there so I always wash.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:06 AM

with a dog and cat I always wash then put in a matching drawstring bag to gift it. Never know who has what allergies at its' new home.