Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash quilt >

Wash quilt

Wash quilt

Old 07-20-2014, 10:26 AM

What a truly inspiring job you have done, where did you get the different fabrics from?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Prism, you have said it so well and completely.

If your quilt is well constructed, washing it will not hurt, and it is much better than letting it stay dirty. Just treat it carefully. I wash every new quilt as soon as it is finished, partly to get rid of the starch that I used while making it.
i also wash each quilt, first to check for boo-boos, and there is just something more appealing to me about a just washed quilt that has "bloomed" from removing all of the starch I use for construction. In a quilt, I think cuddly is more important than crisp. I will admit that I would never put my quilts in a show so I am not worried about presentation on a wall. A fluffy bumpy quilt just makes a bed look more inviting to me. I want my quilts to be used, not admired.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:51 PM

Congratulations on finishing you GFG! Lovely colors and I like your setting.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

What she said!!
Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Assuming your top-loader has a central agitator, the important thing is to never let the quilt agitate. Basically you fill the washer with soap and water, then turn it off and add the quilt. Push down with your hands to agitate. Advance the dial to spin and spin out the soapy water, fill the tub with rinse water, then stop the machine again. Hand agitate, then spin out the rinse water.

Other tips to preserve your quilt:

Never hang it on a clothesline. Water is heavy, and a wet quilt hung on a line will stress the quilting lines. The more water in the quilt, the heavier the quilt is, and the more stress the quilt encounters.

Do not allow it to be in direct sunlight. Any light will fade fabrics; direct sunlight will fade fabrics fast.

You can dry in a dryer as long as there is enough space in the dryer for the quilt to move freely. Take it to a laundromat dryer, if necessary. Or you can dry flat. If outside, lay it on top of a flat sheet ***in the shade***, cover with another flat sheet (to protect from bird droppings and indirect sunlight), and anchor the edges. Or dry inside on carpeting, again with a flat sheet between the carpet and the quilt.

A duvet cover will probably not help when washing and could interfere with the quilt actually getting clean and thoroughly rinsed. The important thing when using a washing machine is to not allow machine agitation from a central agitator, as those agitators tend to tug and twist the fabric. (Tumbling in a front-loader is fine. However, domestic front loaders often do not use enough water to ensure that dye bleeds are sufficiently diluted.)
Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Did you prewash all of the fabrics? If not, do you have bits and pieces of the fabrics that you could test for bleeding? Your quilt is lovely! I did not address the possibility of bleeding in my advice about washing the quilt.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 PM

Beautiful quilt!
I pre-wash my fabrics & pre-soak my cotton batting. Once it's quilted, I soak it again to remove all the pen marks & then wash it and dry it. I have a "Hand Wash" cycle on my washing machine and can set it on "Tap Water Cold" or "Cold" for the water temperature, but I have family members that wash on the Delicate Cycle and it seems to do fine. My big thing is with the detergent. I only wash quilts in a dye-free detergent and use dye-free liquid fabric softener (just a bit). I never use any kind of bleach. Other than some quilted home goods, none of my quilts are in dark or very bright colors, but I know quilters that use those and they will throw in a couple of the Shout Color Catchers to help keep their white parts white.
I throw it in the dryer on low heat, but setting it out on a drying rack or on a sheet on the ground outside also works. I watched a couple YouTube classes with Heather Thomas (National Quilter's Circle) that said if your quilting is no more than 2" apart, you can wash the quilt once a week and it will last approximately 20 years. If the quilting is 1/4" apart, you can wash it weekly and it will last approximately 100 years. So, no need to be afraid to get it wet.

In between washings, you can vacuum it. Just cover the hose with a nylon stocking & run it gently across the top of the quilt. I rarely ever do that, though. Only if my allergies are really acting up.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:36 PM

I love it!! it's beautiful!
Old 07-21-2014, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy View Post
What a truly inspiring job you have done, where did you get the different fabrics from?
Only a small part of the fabrics are actual American quilting fabrics that I got from another expat who generously shared some of her fabric stash with me when she heard that I was starting a quilt (she seemed especially happy to get rid of some small pieces she had no use for, but as long as it was autumn coloured and would fit the size of a hexagon, I would gratefully take it!). For most of the fabrics, I found another source: Cotton fabric isn't easily available here as the fabric market sells more synthetic stuff to make clothes. However, bedding fabric is usually 100% cotton. It is sold from the bolt and very wide (about 2m). Buying it from the bolt would not be practical for me, though, as the minimum they like to sell is 1m - that would give me ways too much of the same fabric! But then I discovered that when making duvet covers etc. out of this fabric, there is usually a strip of approximately 20cm x 2m left over, and I was able to buy these "scraps" very cheaply from the bedding tailors. Some had hilarious designs (that I would never ever want as beddings!), but by fuzzy cutting my hexagons I managed to make good use even of the ugly ones .
Old 07-21-2014, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Did you prewash all of the fabrics? If not, do you have bits and pieces of the fabrics that you could test for bleeding? Your quilt is lovely! I did not address the possibility of bleeding in my advice about washing the quilt.
Thanks for pointing out the possibility of bleeding! However, I did prewash all of the fabrics I used, so there should not be any danger (in fact, I have meanwhile washed the quilt and it didn't bleed the least).
Old 07-21-2014, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
if your quilting is no more than 2" apart, you can wash the quilt once a week and it will last approximately 20 years. If the quilting is 1/4" apart, you can wash it weekly and it will last approximately 100 years. So, no need to be afraid to get it wet.
That's good to hear! I'd really like to use the quilt and not just have it as decoration. In winter I don't think I need to wash it very often as I'm planning to just have it on top of the comforter. However, it would be a nice, light blanket to just directly sleep under on hot summer nights. But that would definitely require washing!