Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washable Markers - help! >

Washable Markers - help!

Washable Markers - help!

Old 09-18-2010, 05:21 AM

Oh I think I've made a big, big mistake. I used a purple washable marker around a template - about 50 starfish - and it only comes PARTIALLY out with a HARD scrubbing using scads of laundry detergent, then a scrub with water again. I haven't/can't put it in the washer yet. I learned about using washable markers on this board and thought it would be great, as I have a hard time following the lines with chalk or anything light. Have I ruined the quilt?
Old 09-18-2010, 05:39 AM

Did you iron it before you tried washing it out? If you did that makes the marker permanent. :-( Maybe someone knows a method to get out the markers. I am so sorry this happened to you. {hug}
Old 09-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

detergent tends to set markers, so wash without it first.
try soaking it in Oxy clean and then rubbing the lines too. i got out yrs old pencil marks with that. good luck
Old 09-18-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
Oh I think I've made a big, big mistake. I used a purple washable marker around a template - about 50 starfish - and it only comes PARTIALLY out with a HARD scrubbing using scads of laundry detergent, then a scrub with water again. I haven't/can't put it in the washer yet. I learned about using washable markers on this board and thought it would be great, as I have a hard time following the lines with chalk or anything light. Have I ruined the quilt?
It should wash out in a cold water rinse, Hot water may set it as ironing does. I never use anything but cold water, no detergents etc and have never had a problem.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Oxyclean, spray and wash or some other laundry aid, let it soak for a while and rinse well :D:D:D
Old 09-18-2010, 11:51 AM

I did this once and ironed it and it set it in. Now I buy those blue quilting markers that wash off lightly with a moist rag. There is also a purple one that disappears after a few hours. I used a purple one thinking it had to be washed off and traced a whole quilt top. In teh morning when I got up, boy was I shocked and a little tiffed. It was gone. I thought I dreamed the whole thing. Then I read the directions. OOps.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2010, 12:05 PM

I use them all the time, and have only had "trouble" one time... I almost panicked because it looked as if it wasn't going to wash out. I had tried just washing with a moist cloth. Anyway, when I finish a quilt, I always wash them before giving them away. Every bit came out in the washer. Just try that, you can, once you finish.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I did this once and ironed it and it set it in. Now I buy those blue quilting markers that wash off lightly with a moist rag. There is also a purple one that disappears after a few hours. I used a purple one thinking it had to be washed off and traced a whole quilt top. In teh morning when I got up, boy was I shocked and a little tiffed. It was gone. I thought I dreamed the whole thing. Then I read the directions. OOps.
LOL I did that too. Took me hours to mark the #$(*$% top! Then to start all over.... ah, live and learn.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:01 AM

Wash in cool water no SOAP with color catchers.
These work great.
My DD had made a costume using washable markers and we I picked up the baby and got orange all over a white shirt and no pre soaking it came out!
They are great to wash quilts.
Gale