Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing and Blocking Wool Applique Quilts >

Washing and Blocking Wool Applique Quilts

Washing and Blocking Wool Applique Quilts

Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM

Default Washing and Blocking Wool Applique Quilts

Hello - I've been searching and can't seem to find any information on washing. The people I've asked say they just vacuum, but I just wonder if wool applique quilts can be washed and if so, what is the process. Also what is the washing procedure for regular applique quilts. I have a large front-loading washer at home. Right now I'm thinking just washing on cold with a color catcher and laying out to dry to block into shape. I didn't pre-wash my fabric. I plan to heavily quilt this quilt. This is a wall hanging size quilt.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

Is the wool felted? Felted wool is already shrunk so you can cut the edges without fraying. If it is small blocks they should hand wash fine and block to dry. If it is whole quilt I wouldn't getting it wet because wool is HEAVY when wet and would take days to dry.
Try a sample of your wool and wash it and lay it on a white paper towel to dry. This should give you some idea of shrinkage or bleeding.
If you are worried about colours bleeding in any quilt, a front loader is not the best for washing a quilt. A quilt does best in a top loader where you have lots of water to float away any fabric dye.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 PM

It is felted already and it's a whole cloth piece, so lots of wool. It's made out of Wool Lady Wool http://woolylady.com/

I was going to put lots of color catchers in. Maybe I should put it in the tub and put it in to spin it out. Even though I washed my hands, I'm thinking for sure all the stitching has hand oils on it.

This is it when I was laying it out.
Attached Thumbnails 6691851353_8df2b8983d_z.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

It is going to be beautiful! Unless it looks dirty when it is done I wouldn't wash it. If it does need a wash, a gentle soak in the tub would be the way to go. Let out the water and let it drain for a few hours. It might be small enough you can just leave it lay in the tub to air dry.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 PM

Thanks. I'm nearly done. Just gotta stitch a tiny bit more and I'm done. Next up how to quilt it. Hehe! Always something.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:37 AM

Oh my goodness, that is going to be just gorgeous. As far as quilting, I would hand quilt around the motifs.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 PM

That looks gorgeous!