Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Rag Quilts >

Washing Rag Quilts

Washing Rag Quilts

Old 02-14-2024, 04:37 PM

Default Washing Rag Quilts

Hi all, just finished a rag baby quilt and now my washing machine is not draining! Turns out the fancy washer I bought last year does NOT have an accessible lint filter I can clean easily, it is in-line with the water pump and you practically have to disassemble the washer to get at it. It's a big, difficult job and will involve unstacking the washer and dryer. Ack. If I had known there was no accessible lint filter on the washer I would NEVER have bought this model!!!

However, while I may end up selling this silly setup, because I have dogs and kids and need to be able to clean that washing machine lint filter (you would not believe what manages to get in there), I have a question!!!

How can you wash rag quilts such that you do not fill your washing machine with the lint bits? Can you wash them in a cotton sack? Or should you just wash them by hand at first, until they stop shedding the lint?

Hints, tips, advice welcome!
Old 02-14-2024, 04:42 PM

Ummm...some people just take them to a commercial laundry for that first washing. you could also "brush" it with a stiff brush to loosen the threads and then give it a good shaking outside. I usually take my throw rugs outside and bang them against this huge silver maple trunk I have in the yard.
I have no idea if my washer has a lint filter. I put one at the end of the hose where it empties into my laundry tub. I will have to look at the manual.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:06 PM

All my previous washers had a lint filter before the discharge pump...in all cases it was possible to pull the lint trap and clean it. I have found all kinds of things, large and small, in the washing machine filter over the years!
Old 02-15-2024, 03:11 AM

I would try placing inside a pillowcase and tying a knot before washing.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:27 AM

Good ol laundry mat…….sorry for your frustrations, I would be unhappy too!
Old 02-15-2024, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I would try placing inside a pillowcase and tying a knot before washing.
but isn't the point to get rid of the fluff/lint in a rag quilt?

For those of you who use color catchers they go into the filter too. I just read a thread where dozens and in one case 72 had been pulled out Now there's a clog!
Old 02-15-2024, 07:08 AM

Yep laundromat for the few that I have made. I did bring them home to dry and cleaned the dryer filter every 10 minutes or so.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I have never changed a washing machine filter. Didn't know they had one. All my past washers broke mechanically but they drain fine. I'll have to check the manual or repair shop. So far no problem washing newly made rag quilts. The dryer gets the most lint build up from them. I have to clean the dryer filter many times during drying time.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

I don't remember ever cleaning out a washing machine filter either, though it's possible I've just forgotten. Googling the subject leads me to believe that most washers made in the last 20 years or so haven't had lint traps that you can clean out. Maybe that's why washers are now expected to last 10 years or so, while they used to last 30+ years.

I've made a few rag quilts, using 3 layers of flannel. I've washed and dried them at home with no problems, but I did have to clean out the inside of the washing machine and the dryer lint trap.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:01 AM

I never heard of a washing machine filter either! Is this something new? Never had a problem with washing rag quilts either. My dryer has a lint trap.