Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
washing wall haning top >

washing wall haning top

washing wall haning top

Old 02-13-2017, 08:36 AM

Default washing wall haning top

After piecing my wall hanging I found a little bit of a smudge and decided to wash it in the washing machine on delicate wash. After drying it on the line, I discovered that it did not hang even. I washed it in cold and did not put it in the dryer. Why would it be uneven? I'm hoping that if I use fatter batting than thin it will help the situation when it gets quilted. Could this help my problem?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Washing an unquilted top is not recommended, however, it sounds like you didn't have a disaster. You can easily block your top. Dampen it and iron it into submission. Spray starch may help. Once it's quilted, it will stay in place, regardless of batting type.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:23 AM

Thank you so much! I will do this and hopefully it will turn out ok!
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Washing an unquilted top is not recommended, however, it sounds like you didn't have a disaster. You can easily block your top. Dampen it and iron it into submission. Spray starch may help. Once it's quilted, it will stay in place, regardless of batting type.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:05 PM

Besides not washing that unquilted top, Donna, I would also suggest you do not hang a quilt (quilted or unquilted) to dry as it will stretch. Instead either lay flat and dry or once quilted, wash and put into the dryer. Blocking it now will likely solve your problem.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Besides not washing that unquilted top, Donna, I would also suggest you do not hang a quilt (quilted or unquilted) to dry as it will stretch. Instead either lay flat and dry or once quilted, wash and put into the dryer. Blocking it now will likely solve your problem.
I certainly have learned my lesson. Thank you for all your suggestions and I will not do this again!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:50 PM

I would dampen the wall hanging and "block" it like we used to do our sweaters back in the dark ages. Measure the top and pin it to the carpet and let it dry in place. You can measure it and make sure it is straight on all sides.