Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washington DC trip in October >

Washington DC trip in October

Washington DC trip in October

Old 07-25-2008, 04:21 PM

We were good friends with the White House Photographer in the mid-70's - during the time Ford was president. We got to go in parts of the White House most people can't. I got to sit in a new chair that had recently been made for Gerald Ford. And....my 3 year old son ran under the ropes outside the Oval Office and two armed guards pointed their guns at him and he just kept running around the desk. We tried to coax my son out, but he was having too much fun. Bill the photographer had to talk the guards into putting their guns down. My son finally came out on his own - it was scary!!! Gerald Ford was not in the White House that day.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:39 PM

:D Enjoy enjoy enjoy...and have a wonderful trip...Lucky you....You will always see and find new things......and sometimes you will find things you won't get in other places......So HAVE FUN !!! :mrgreen:
Old 07-26-2008, 07:58 AM

BArb,

There are a number of shops surrounding DC but you would need a car for most of them. I think the musuem that was mentioned was the DAR (Daughter's of the American Revolution) musuem. The hotel people should be able to give you directions. You might call them while you are in town and find out just when they are open and if they have any quilts on display. They have a marvelous collection of Baltimore Alblum Quilts but they don't display many at one time. You might be able to arrange a private showing if you call ahead.
Enjoy your stay.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks, I will put that on my list of places to go. My mother told me the last time I was up visiting that I could become a member of the DAR. She never joined, might look into it.