Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Watched Hoarders >

Watched Hoarders

Watched Hoarders

Old 12-21-2010, 10:11 AM

[quote=Lori S]Every time I watch that show it makes me want to throw something out....

This is why I quit watching this show! Now it just irritates me that people let themselves get so out of control. At least we quilters make an effort to keep things somewhat organized!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 AM

My problem with getting rid of magazines is what I thought I liked (and tagged with small colored Post-It's) years ago, I no longer want to make and discover another pattern that I passed up before that I now want to make. As my skills evolve and I try different styles, my tastes change and I feel I can tackle harder patterns. If I put all that effort into putting fav's onto discs (not that I even would know how to do that!) or cutting them and filing them in notebooks, I would have the same problem. So, I keep them organized on shelving, by publication and in date order. What ever works for you! I moved across the world earlier this year and did a MASSIVE clean out so I didn't have to ship much back, so if I am a horder, it can only be quilt-related-every scrap was shipped back! I will, however, clean out fabrics after the holidays and participate in the pay-it-forward and hopefully, someone will enjoy using them! Tastes in fabric changes too!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
In looking at all the posts and seeing how many of us collect magazines I was just wondering....how many of you have noticed that many of the patterns in todays magazines are simply repeats of previous patterns using more current fabrics? I started going through my binders of magazine patterns and have noticed a lot of similarities. Do you see it too?
I see exactly what you are saying. That's one of the reasons I stopped my subscriptions.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 AM

Thank you, thought I was crazy! I have found so many repeats ! That has actually been going on for some time! Also found the same with my crafting magazines. I use the internet to find ideas and patterns quite a bit.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maggimae
Thank you, thought I was crazy! I have found so many repeats ! That has actually been going on for some time! Also found the same with my crafting magazines. I use the internet to find ideas and patterns quite a bit.
Do you think it is because there are only so many actual blocks, but so many ways to put them together-then, so many ways to arrange the blocks-plus add in the factor color plays-we all know how changing just one of those factors can make a quilt look so different. To most except very experienced quilters, maybe, they all look different. I know if I see a quilt made in certain colors I may not like, or darks/lights reversed, or in flowers instead of batiks (for example,) I may not like it-but seeing in changed, it just jumps out at me saying "You must make me!". Just look what you can do with a simple Log Cabin block!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 AM

I go through my quilt magazines and take out the patterns.On the ones the are back to back I copy one side on the printer.Then I put them in a clear sheet protectors and in notebooks. It makes it a lot easier when I'm looking for a quilt pattern to make.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:38 AM

You are so right! Recently saw a quilted table topper made up at the local quilt shop and loved it! Found out I had looked a the pattern several times but it did not jump out at me until I saw the shop owners color choices! What a difference!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolaug
I have started going though my magazines. I pull out the patterns that are easy and that I like and really may someday make and put them in one binder.
WELL - I am way past one binder but this method helped to bring my magazine pile from tower to manageable. Any magazine that stayed intact, I passed on to the gals at work.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:13 PM

I got rid of all my old ones at a garage sale. $3.00 for a huge box. Now I could kick myself, because I remember some of the quilts in them, that I might want to try today. So before you get rid of them, at least look through them once again.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:28 PM

I am constantly printing free patterns from the internet (just got done with 6 patterns from Connecting Threads)-those I put in binders, but to tell the truth, I have so many "must makes", that I would need to live 400 years to get thru them! I think I love looking at patterns and all the different color choices they are made in as much as fondling fabrics!!! Everytime a new mag comes in the mail, I get so excited-my DH just laughs at me!