Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Watching the bidding war on Ebay, FUN

Watching the bidding war on Ebay, FUN

I have been watching Ebay for sewing machine pricing. A TOL combo just sat at the starting price for days and in the last couple of minutes before the auction ended the price jumped 650$!! It was fun to watch it to the end. You had better know what your top $$ to be the winning bid those last seconds as they count down. Machine was listed for $4200.00. SOLD for $4850.00. I would chicken out at that price point. The winner got a great price for a machine that has an MSRP around $12,000. Sigh...

Anyone buy a TOL sewing machine on Ebay??

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I would be too afraid to spend that much money and not have a store/business behind me.

Blog Entries
    Not a sewing machine but there used to be a seller who would put up bundles of 3-5 Moda charm packs. She started it at .99 and I know I got into a few bidding wars when it came down to the wire! Sometimes I won, sometimes I didn't but it sure was fun! I set in my mind what I was willing to pay and didn't go over it.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

What is a TOL combo??

Quote Originally Posted by KSellers View Post
    What is a TOL combo??
    Top of the line sewing / embroidery machine. Sorry about that!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Top of the Line?
    Deanne Ellen

Quilts,Books,and Wine,Oh My!

Quote Originally Posted by deanneellen View Post
    Top of the Line?
    The most expensive priced machine in the brand. It was the Janome 12000 that the
    MSRP ( manufacturer suggested sales price) is $12,000. Of course no one will have to pay MSRP if they bargain with the shop but still, $4850.00 is an incredible price. It was supposedly "hardly used".

Sandy
    Sandygirl

No warranty and no dealer support. No thanks:>

I bought a used Viking Quilt Designer off eBay. Lots of extra feet, books and goodies. I think I paid $650. It was a great deal and is a wonderful machine.

I have purchased many things off ebay and always been pleased. However, I have never purchased anything that high in price.
    Amythyst

I also have purchased many things from eBay over the years. I had one bad incident. Bought a vintage Victorian House cookie jar. Came in pieces. Contacted the seller, heard nothing. Contacted eBay, seller then contacted me and returned my money. Bought a beautiful Singer "Lotus" treadle head. Arrived in perfect condition. You do need to know what your top $$ is. Set it and walk away. Most of the time, I don't watch the auction. I'm too cheap to spend that much $$ without a LOT of guarantees. My BIL worked for a Dodge dealership and sold cars off eBay. Sold one to someone in Alaska (he was in Toledo).
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman"

I bought a brand new Babylock sewing/embroidery machine still in the box for half what they cost at the dealer. The lady bought two of them thinking she could do commercial type embroideries and found out that wasn't what they were intended for and she tried to return them but the dealer wouldn't take them back so she sold them on E-bay. She had opened one to find that out but sent me the one still packed in original packaging, sealed plastic bags just as they came from the factory. It is a wonderful machine and there is no Babylock dealer closer than 250 miles from where I live so that part isn't important to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    The most expensive priced machine in the brand. It was the Janome 12000 that the
    MSRP ( manufacturer suggested sales price) is $12,000. Of course no one will have to pay MSRP if they bargain with the shop but still, $4850.00 is an incredible price. It was supposedly "hardly used".

Sandy
    while on a cruise they had one $12000 machine and the last day they would discount it down to 6500.00...LOL so she really got a deal..WOW
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Blog Entries
    I know one sewing machine dealer/repair who buys gently used machines on Ebay. Label them used and re sell with shop warranty at a much higher price then he paid for it. The customer gets a deal and the dealer made $ profit. He now has sellers calling him first before putting on Ebay. He calls customers who have said I want this machine if you find one used. Where do sellers get these TOL machines? They don't buy them at full price to sell for much less. ?
    Got fabric?

Power Poster
    I bought two sewing machines off ebay and will never again...Both machines I bought at separate times and from two different sellers. Neither one was what they were advertised to be...The second one I bought was an Elna 68 SU, it burned up on the first use....The second one has a motor that is ready to go so I have the two of them to use for parts in case I need them for the two I have that are still going...As for Ebay, I now say Buyer Beware.

I like a good deal as much as the next person but one also has to look at the "hidden" costs. - Do you have a dealer who will work on the machines? My dealer will help me over the phone and lets me know when I need to bring it in for service. Do you have someplace where you can take classes? I get them free with my machine. I like the support of my dealer - I would rather pay more and know that if I have an issue I have someone I can go to. Just depends on what a person wants to deal with I guess.

Blog Entries
    I purchased a Husq. Viking Designer Diamond Delux (TOL) on E-Bay. It was a "Buy it Now" for $3600 and $100 shp. The description of condition: "Immaculate" and very low hours. I could not afford to buy one NEW from a dealer as they wanted close to $7000 plus the tax yet, so I would never be able to own one. So I decided to take a chance and I was so pleased. When it arrived, "everything" was so carefully wrapped in foam core & bubble plastic, (even the manuals), Most of the accessories were even still in the factory sealed packages. And they even enclosed 15 packs of Schmetz needles, and other sewing notions worth another $100 or so. In corresponding with the seller, I was told that he and his wife and sister, bought the machine for their mom's Bithday and she passed away 6 mo. later. I was so fortunate to be able to find that deal. (The man even paid extra shipping out of his own pocket to ship the machine to me faster because I told him I was going out of town and did not want the machine setting on my doorstep while I was away. I offered to pay him and he just said no, he was glad to do that for me). So sometimes you can find a really special deal and a really sincere seller. But I would also warn to beware and check things out on a high price item before you buy. I just took a chance and lucked out!! This time it paid to take a chance.

It is interesting to watch things on eBay for sure. Did you all see the wild and crazy auction that Monroe posted over on the vintage sewing machine thread about an eBay auction for Guinea Pig Armor?
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t224209.html
    Mind boggling!

My experience with Ebay and sewing machine: Only bid the amount of money you are willing to throw in the garbage!. "TOP" - great but "hardly used" is only a sales gimmick - what that means to you isn't what that means to me. Remember BUYER BEWARE!

I've bought 3 machines off Ebay,taking the chance, and have been very fortunate....Janome MC 300E. $550. SO lucky to have the seller help me with the Embird program. I really bugged that poor lady for information...Now it's old hat...
    Jukie TL98Q..$370..Very nice machine.. Singer 403 from back East that was very musty smelling. Never got rid of smell..Just sold that one..Nice machine otherwise...All off Ebay...
    I always requested they pack really well...

I buy most of my fabrics on eBay that I need to finish a quilt . Trying to make a dent in my stash. Half the time I do lose but heck, it is FUN!!! I wouldn't want to buy a sewing machine on-line because of the lack of service of a dealer.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I've bought 5 sewing machines off E-Bay and have had nothing but good luck. I only buy from sellers that have top ratings and I think that is the key. Oh, and I bought the table for my Singer Featherweight on E-Bay also. All were packaged really well. You can get some really great buys there.

thanks for asking.. i was wondering myself.
    judy

I bought a Bernina Aurora off eBay for $1400 about 8 years ago. Paid a Bernina dealer $25 for a one hour lesson on how to use it. Not an embroidery machine, just for piecing, the local dealer offered me one used for $2800 but I said no to that. I have never ever had it in the shop, it still purrs when I sew and it is the best deal I have ever had. Got all the attachments, case, feet, little box of tools etc, knee press to lift the needle and it was gently used for one year in a quilt shop. Also bought a featherweight which was perfect and case and tons of attachments for a really cheap price off eBay too about 6 years ago, never had it in shop either. Always check out the rating of the seller and you will be fine. However, I am a risk taker and I have faith in my luck!!
    Last edited by Wanabee Quiltin; 06-24-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Auto spell !!!

I purchased a Janome off Craig's list, and then bought an extended warranty at my local Janome Dealer. It was just over $100 for three years. The total price covered all routine maintenance, any NON-routine maintenance and parts, in-store instruction on my machine, and 10% of anything in the store, including stabilizers, threads, lots of notions, and some fabric. That was a year ago, and I've more than used that warranty, mainly for the classes and sewing supplies, plus a routine cleaning. I now am proficient at both the sewing variations, feet, techniques, etc., and I can do the built in embroidery. My next project will use purchased embroidery patterns to do embroidery, and that will be another series of group classes, as there are a number of us at about the same point, and when working together we help each other as well as learn from our excellent instructor -- and it's social and fun!

Just a thought for those who buy machines from places like eBay. Check with your local deal and see if you can get an extended warranty. I don't have to worry about repair bills for another 2 years (and can extend the warranty if I like).
    MacThayer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast