Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Water Erasable Pens >

Water Erasable Pens

Water Erasable Pens

Old 10-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if it would help to put them in the refrigerator, to keep them moist. Just an idea...
Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 AM
np3
Power Poster

I've used them for years and the shelf life depends on how long I use them at any one time. If one hasn't been used much but has been stored for a bit, I dip the tip in water and it starts working again. If it has been used a lot, then the water doesn't work as well.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by np3
I've used them for years and the shelf life depends on how long I use them at any one time. If one hasn't been used much but has been stored for a bit, I dip the tip in water and it starts working again. If it has been used a lot, then the water doesn't work as well.
Thank you. I'll try that with mine. Over the years, I've encouraged ball-point pens to work by holding them under warm water and it crossed my mind that I should try wetting these water erasable pens before I give up & toss them out.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:45 PM

Mine dried up soon after I bought them too - haven't purchased this type of marker since.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:38 PM

I had some that dryed out. I took the white top off of the pen a added a couple of drops of alcohol into the top. It at least got me through the rest of the class.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:12 AM

Just wanted to say that no, there's not much product in them. Yes, it helps if you store them 'business end down'. And no, there's really nothing else I've found that helps much.

I spend a fortune in these markers, as a longarmer, but just have to do it. I do use school chalk when I can, but since it rubs off and is white, it's usage is limited. I'm also using now the Crayola Washable Markers, and found they last a bit longer. (But never the red, blue, pink or yellow colors as people have reported issues with them.)

I'd like to hear if anyone found any other ways to save these pens or make them last longer? I really don't think brand matters, at least in the blue pens, as I've not found one works better than the other. The only thing that works for me is to buy one every time I have a JoAnn's coupon and don't need anything else!

Debbie in Austin
Old 12-17-2010, 07:12 AM

I did end up throwing my erasable pens away and am now using a fabric marking pencil. I am hand quilting and it's working fine for me; the white pencil comes off easier than the erasable "ink" did. Although just water alone is not enough ... I have to scrub a bit with a sponge, there's very little scrubbing involved and it's doing no noticeable harm. I used to have to scrub the erasable ink also and it didn't come off nearly as well as the pencil does. I have a basket full of bar soap slivers I could use as markers, but am not very keen on attempting to wipe soap marks off with a wet sponge and it could be years before the quilt is completed and laundered.

If the erasable pens "erase" for you, as a longarmer, then I agree that keeping working pens available is the best way to go.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 AM

For short term marking, the Marvy purple fabric markers are wonderful. The marks disappear after a while - it depends on the humidity in your room - usually 24-48 hours. To speed it up, you can use the eraser tip or spritz with water. I've had a few have lasted over a year, and I use them a LOT.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I bought a colver pen and opened it and nothing!!!
i store what pens i use in a plastic storage box and they lay on their sides, not vertical. hope that helps.