Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Water soluble marking pen? >

Water soluble marking pen?

Water soluble marking pen?

Old 05-11-2020, 09:12 AM

Default Water soluble marking pen?

Which water soluble pencil/pen is the one where you spritz it with water to make it disappear?
Old 05-11-2020, 09:20 AM

I have always been comfortable using the Dritz water soluble markers and pencils. I switch between them depending on the project and the quilt.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:24 AM

I use the blue Dritz water soluble markers when I need to mark on white or light color fabric. I have never had a problem, just spritz with water and it disappears.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:05 AM

Thank you! I'm placing an order now
Old 05-11-2020, 11:26 AM

Has anyone had a problem with the blue migrating back out of the quilt by just spritzing. Some have said this might be a problem and the quilt should be washed to remove all the blue.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:19 PM

Never had that problem Quilt30, but it doesn't mean it can't happen. I have had spots I didn't quite get when I spritzed.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:11 PM

If I remember correctly the wash out instructions if washing the quilt for the first time is water only, no soap or additives.
When I was hand quilting I used it for many of my quilts, even white on white whole cloth dating back to the 70's and never had the marks reappear. I've used the air erase also, for small projects, no problems there either. I wouldn't apply heat to either until that cold water wash....and there are variables I expect. I prewash all my fabrics, so no from-the-store additives in the fabric either.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:32 PM

I have had really good luck with Adger Water Erasable pens, were recommended by Kelly Cline in a class I took. She recommended putting baking soda in water to spritz on marks. She uses it on everything-satin, doilies, lace and fabric. I have also found that Crayola Washable Markers work well. I always try on fabric before I start marking to make sure it will come out and only the red and orange colors have been a little difficult to remove.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:05 AM

I use the Crayola Washable Markers too, and have never had any problem getting the marks out. Even green and blue on white.
I do the first wash after quilt is done using cold water and a mild no-scent soap.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
I use the Crayola Washable Markers too, and have never had any problem getting the marks out. Even green and blue on white.
I do the first wash after quilt is done using cold water and a mild no-scent soap.
I use the Crayola Washable Markers too. I've never had a problem with them and they're cheap and available everywhere, even the dollar store.

~ C