Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wavy bindings on small hexagon quilt. >

Wavy bindings on small hexagon quilt.

Wavy bindings on small hexagon quilt.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 AM

Unhappy Wavy bindings on small hexagon quilt.

I recently made a really nice small quilt that had six sides and the setting triangles were on the outside (bias issues). When I put the binding on and laid the quilt out, the binding doesn't lay flat. Sure the issue is the bias edges. I'd like to fix it but don't know what to do. I put it on my coffee table and can't stand looking at those wavy edges. HELP!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

It sounds like you maybe stretched the bias edges when putting the binding on. You can re-do the binding and ease the bias edges towards the needle to hopefully bring in the extra. OR you can take the original binding off, stitch a row of large gather stitches on each of the 8 sides. Gently pull the top thread to bring in the fullness in until the edges lay flat again and re-apply the binding.
OR you can try Charisma's Quick machine binding with flange. I like to use Charisma's binding on small wallhangings and toppers that I want to lay really flat. The extra fabric seems to add an extra stiffness to the binding. Here is a picture of the Oak Leaf one I did.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It sounds like you maybe stretched the bias edges when putting the binding on. You can re-do the binding and ease the bias edges towards the needle to hopefully bring in the extra. OR you can take the original binding off, stitch a row of large gather stitches on each of the 8 sides. Gently pull the top thread to bring in the fullness in until the edges lay flat again and re-apply the binding.
OR you can try Charisma's Quick machine binding with flange. I like to use Charisma's binding on small wallhangings and toppers that I want to lay really flat. The extra fabric seems to add an extra stiffness to the binding. Here is a picture of the Oak Leaf one I did.
The oak leaf piece is lovely all the way around!