Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wavy boarders... >

wavy boarders...

wavy boarders...

Old 12-14-2014, 08:08 PM

Default wavy boarders...

I just finished a top and the boarders were so wavy,I have made maybe 50 quilts. I have never had this to happen, I used 2 colors in this top but different shades and fabric patterns( all batiks) the biggest boarder was finished 4 and 1/2 inches and was 1/2 square triangles pieced together and 2 other boarders were cut 2 and 1/2 inches. All was measured and sewn, quilt top on the top one side, sewing down and the boarder on top on the other side sewing up. and the next boarder was sewn in the other direction, as I was taught. Once again, I have never had any trouble with wavy boarders ,what could have caused this? I have only worked with batiks 2 times. Does this usually happen with this type of fabric ,what did I do wrong?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:19 PM

How did you measure to determine the length of each BORDER strip? Three places on the top:...top, bottom and center....cutting each BORDER the average of those three numbers, if there was a discrepancy.......dealing with three borders sewing each one individually is tricky......too bad you can't sew the border strips together, then sew to top mitering the corners..... Got to get those waves out now..will just look worse if quilted with all that fullness....
Old 12-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

If I am doing more than one border, I always sew the borders together and then attach the boder unit in one step. Sewing borders on one by one, I always ended up with some waves.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:15 PM

I've started cutting my borders from the lengthwise piece of fabric instead of the crosswise part of the fabric. The crosswise cut has stretch in it and it's really been screwing me up with the wavy borders! Sometimes when I'm layering a quilt I'll notice a certain section has fullness. My trick is to sew in a dart to make the border flat. Once the quilt is quilted, it isn't detectable.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:58 AM

If I use 2 or more borders I always sew them together first & mitre the corners. Take the 3 measurements - top, bottom & middle - take the average of the 3 lengths & then I subtract 1/4". Haven't had a wavy border since I started doing it this way.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:17 AM

Maybe it's in the 1/2 square triangles (just a guess). I'm a batiks exclusive gal and haven't had a problem with them (yet). I love Tartan's idea of sewing all the borders together as one unit and then putting them on the quilt. Great idea.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

I lay the border strip across the middle of the quilt and mark the border to cut. I do that for the width and length. Saves a step of measuring and then cutting. I secure both ends of the border to the edge of the quilt and then ease in or pull slightly to sew the border to the quilt. If there is more then an 1/2 of play I know the quilt top has problems.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:30 AM

Maybe you could lay the top on a flat surface and dampen the borders. If they have stretched, that might allow them to go back to their original size. I have done that with smaller pieces that got stretched due to opening and resewing, and it has worked.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Measure across the middle and cut both top and bottom the same length and ease in as you sew. then do the same for sides. I used to never do this but I made a quilt and the borders were so wavy. I ripped it out and redid them. I was able to cut off more than an inch from the original border fabric and still get them on and surprise!!! NO waves!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:05 AM

I measure the length of my quilt and cut my borders that length for the sides. Then I stitch them on. Next, I measure the width of the quilt and cut my borders that length and stitch them on. I pin my borders before I stitch them. I find the when I don't pin, it is too easy to stretch the pieced blocks and that give wavy edges.