Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wavy Borders >

Wavy Borders

Wavy Borders

Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by vickynboise
Help! I am regressing in my quilting skills!!

I've been quilting for decades and I am suddenly having reoccurring problems with adding borders.

When the quilt top is ready for its borders to be sewn on, the top is flat. But when I sew the first 3" border on, it doesn't lay flat anymore! It's driving me nuts!

I know about the measuring down the center of the quilt to determine the length of the borders. This has always worked for me. But now it's failing. Does anyone have any tricks??

Thanks in advance for your insights.
You don't say how you feed into the machine, but I had similar problems with my big quilt. I solved it by placing the quilt top on the bottom, and border fabric on top so that if anything is shifted by the feed dogs, it will be the flat top piece, not the 'looser' border fabric. If this isn't clear, let me know and I will try to explain better. If any of you can make this clearer, please do. (I remembered when learning to sew drunkards path, I was always told to put the larger piece on the bottom.) Clear as mud? :shock:
Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM

Yes the quilt goes on the bottom.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll give it a try.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM

Thanks! Love the picture and your ribbons!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:40 PM

All these suggestions are great. I also start by cutting the border piece to fit the center measurement. Then I mark the mathmatical center of the border strip. I then find the center of the quilt top by design (I hope that makes sense) I pin the top and bottom of the quilt to border and then pin the two centers. I then ease the quilt top onto the border strip and sew.
Note - If you piecing is accurate, there should be no differenct between the mathmatical center and the design center, but hey - you never know. Fabric is a living thing!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 PM

I find it helps to run a line of stay stitching around the edges of the quilt before adding the first border. Sometimes I stitch all lengths of border fabrics together ,leaving longer tails to miter all at one time.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
I got this tip from Quiltville:

Lay your quilt out. Lay the border fabric on top in the center (either vertically or horizontally, whichever you are doing first). Smooth the fabric out, then cut it the same size. I pin at a few intervals along the way so it doesn't move, then bring my cutter and small cutting mat over and trim the strips. Match the ends and center points and pin before you sew. Press your border seams and repeat for the other borders.

The reason she does it this way is because measuring tapes can stretch, but if you smooth the fabric out the same as the quilt, it doesn't. I have done many quilts this way and never have problems with wavy borders. Give it a try!
Never heard of this technique before but I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
I cut mine lenght wise grain and have fewer/no problems. If I cut cross wise grain I ALWAYS have problems.

I have been taking an applique class and at the class last night the instructor said cutting borders on the length wise grain instead of width of the fabric will eliminate wavey borders. It is worth a try.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

i measure my quilt, then cut the borders. pin centers and ends and in between if necessary. then stitch.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 PM

I had the same problem a couple of months ago with a baby quilt. Someone suggested I use spray starch and iron. I did it and it worked like a charm. I let the spray starch on for about 10 minutes before I ironed it. May have to do it a few times. Hope this helps. :)