Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: We are 21 million

Quote Originally Posted by Foxflower
    If I got the right number of zeros, I think that's just over $171 per quilter per year. Somebody check my math! I've spent that already this year I think, or come close.
    Oh, Foxflower, you think just like me! I ran for the calculator right away. Unfortunately I came up with a different # ($76) so we still haven't settled anything.

Anybody else want to help figure this out?

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    If I got the right number of zeros, I think that's just over $171 per quilter per year. Somebody check my math! I've spent that already this year I think, or come close.
    Heck that was just THIS month!!!! Dang Shop hops!! lol..
    Amen! When I do the Fabshophop I try not to buy anything but I seldom succeed!

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechunk
    Oh, Foxflower, you think just like me! I ran for the calculator right away. Unfortunately I came up with a different # ($76) so we still haven't settled anything.

Never mind, I figured out what I did wrong. $171 it is...and I spent waaaay more than that in Lancaster last weekend at the AQS show.

Blog Entries
    I'm certainly doing my part!!

One more comment and I'll shut up. If these figures came from that quilt magazine survey (you know, the one where they just asked "How much do you spend a year on quilting?") it can't be all that scientific. I know I just took a wild guess so who knows how close I actually came.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    The Wall Street Journal reports that there are 21million quilters who spend 3.6 BILLION a year.
    Are you going to the Red and White quilt exhibit this weekend? 600+ quilts, I think it's at the Armory, sponsored by the Folk Art Museum.

Blog Entries
    And we are one in 21 million

Blog Entries
    The Wall Street Journal reports that there are 21million quilters who spend 3.6 BILLION a year.
    That means we have a voice.

Quote Originally Posted by mimistutz
    I think I spend my share too, but had to print this article. My DH is retired trucker, I have to show him this. He helps me with color selection and gets a little more involved all the time. Keep telling him he'll be quilting by next year. He even went to and enjoyed the Lancaster quilt show with me last week. He was facinated by the longarms.
    I sure wish I could get my husband to be fasinated by longarms. Can you imagine how that would increase my budget? I could have a Lamborghini powered quilting rig, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechunk

Foxflower is right.

Saw your other post after I posted this. Is there a way to delete a post that you make?

I just don't know how it could only be $171/quilter each year. I just finished a king-size quilt top--a budget one. The whole quilt top only cost me about $55. But, then there's the batting, on sale, about another $25. The backing and binding were give to me, so $0. But, here's the clincher, the professional quilting along will cost a minimum of $163.50. So my total on one quilt alone this year....$243.50 minimum. I think we are spending way more than 3.6 billion year. Kind of scary, if you think about it very hard. We could make a dent in the national debt -- but I'm not giving any more money to the government than I have to! :lol:

I guess that there is no minimum requirement for the amount of quilting you do to be a quilter. There must be some people out there that quilt once in a blue moon. I don't quilt as much as most, but that doesn't keep me from shopping :) I love batiks, so it not uncommon for me to spend $140 on a throw and that doesn't calculate in anything for machines. I mean throw a couple of Berninas and a Gammill or two in the mix and 3.6 billion sounds like a laughable amount, doesn't it?

I think I may have figured it out...the people who took the survey had to misrepresent the real amount they spent so DH wouldn't find out just what they spent. lol

Wonder if the execs at WalMart read this article? That 3.6 billion is only what we quilters spent on fabric.

Hi every one, the newbie here. I heard just recently that quilters spend more on their hobby than all the wooodworkers, golfers, hunters together spend on their stuff.
    Quilter's are the largest spending group out there.
    Proud to be one.

I try to do my share! :lol:

Isn't it nice to be part of such an elite group? LOL.

Woo hooo....but, why doesn't Wal-mart sell fabric?

21 Million quilters who spend 3.6 Billion (& in reality much more than that $$ amt) ... and YET, there are NO Quilting shows on HGTV or any other cable channels (that I get) and only a few often re-run shows on PBS ... What's wrong with THAT picture ?? :roll:

I knew they would find me out sooner or latter :thumbup:

HEAR US ROAR !

we apparently should be heard dont ya think

there is a LOT wrong with that picture

why doesnt someone complain to DIY or HGTV, they use to have them on, how many people have to stand up and be counted? I am so tired of watching critics on bathrooms and kitchens and yard work done. I usually use HGTV for a background in the daytime, but even their reruns are boring.

they give a show to someone for a year after they win a contest, big deal, I want to have quilting/sewing shows back on

We should all band together and collectively bargain for better prices!! Then we'd be able to buy even more!!

Patti
    you arent kidding, but it wont happen
    i went to a new to me website and they want 12.00 USA dollars per yard now.

Hey, at least we are contributing something important!

A little off of what I had spent this year, but probably averages out. 21 million, that is wonderful, the art if not dead.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast