Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Weak seams between blocks with QAYG? >

Weak seams between blocks with QAYG?

Weak seams between blocks with QAYG?

Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 AM

I 've made QAYG quilts but I've heard from people that the most popular methods such as Fun and Done, since there is only the one seam between the blocks, holding all together that the quilt would not stay together. Does anyone have any advise or experiences with this potential problem?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:14 AM

I've wondered about this too. Waiting for some comments.

And yet another comment from a long time ago..someone said to look at the pants we wear. My big rear end puts a lot of strain on my pants and some of them last for years, and there is only one seam line to take on all that strain.

I think for quilts it would be weakened fabrics more than the threads, otherwise the threads themselves would break.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:20 AM

I see no reason why the quilts wouldn't stay together. If the seams were done with quality thread and a normal stitch length, they will be as sturdy and a patchwork quilt with many seams. The fabric is what pulls apart because of the loose weave in some and you will find that goes before the seam. I agree with Ramono, the fabric goes first.

Carol J.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I've wondered about this too. Waiting for some comments.

And yet another comment from a long time ago..someone said to look at the pants we wear. My big rear end puts a lot of strain on my pants and some of them last for years, and there is only one seam line to take on all that strain.

I think for quilts it would be weakened fabrics more than the threads, otherwise the threads themselves would break.
I love the analogy, made me smile this morning!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:07 AM

Molly,
I do QAYG and have done several without using any sashing between the blocks but by sewing to the front.
Search here using Deb;s QAYG method. There is the one seam made putting two blocks together and then another stitching the "binding" down to the block. To my way of thinking , you then have a reinforcement for each block and then the additional reinforcement when you do each row.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:15 AM
dd

I made mine by hand a long time ago and we use it. I haven't had any trouble with mine. Just the one regular seam.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:14 AM

My seams are coming apart.
I made my quilt larger than the pattern so more presure on the seams. Fun and Done makes a heavy quilt so I suggest you use a smaller stitch than normal.
Just remember that you are not quilting over your seams so you dont have that reenforcement.
Sewing the backing over the block for sashing dosnt have any effect on the seam that holds the block togather.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:54 AM

That's what I fear will happen to mine that I've made with that method. The last one I made I used "kim's method" with the strip sewn on the back and that does solve that particular problem, tho I don't like sewing the strip. I guess I want a qayg without the qayg problems :)
Old 07-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

The fun and done I made hasn't had any problems so far.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by molly oldham
I 've made QAYG quilts but I've heard from people that the most popular methods such as Fun and Done, since there is only the one seam between the blocks, holding all together that the quilt would not stay together. Does anyone have any advise or experiences with this potential problem?
The "fun and done" I did, I sewed the blocks together, then turned the seam allowances under and stitched up and down each side of the seam. If you have the tension correct, you have a pretty secure quilt. Mine have held together with no problem. The cross seams help give structure and stability to the quilt also.