Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding ring Quilt >

Wedding ring Quilt

Wedding ring Quilt

Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

Welcome isewcountry!

I tried 2 different patterns for the double wedding ring, then saw a show where Elenor Burns made one. Her way is soooo much easier! So, I bought her book called egg money quilts.

I'm going to make that one for my step daughter for her wedding in March 2010. I plan to start on it in January.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 AM

WELCOME isewcountry from western Wisconsin! I am also making a wedding ring quilt for my daughter. I am looking for the pattern with scalloped edges, but have only found patterns with edges following the rings. I do have E. Burns Egg Money book but that only shows a pic. of scalloped edges not directions. Does anyone know of any other book or pattern?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by isewcountry
Sewing is my passion, I won't give up. I mostly do alterations and make curtains. My daughter-in-law is an upholster and has fabrics left over, she give me the left overs in the granddaughter's favorite colors. I like the idea of trying a pillow first--no waste but gain.
If you are an experienced sewer - - and do alterations, then you do have a clue.

After doing the pillow, let us know how it went.

There have been postings that start out "I don't sew and I don't quilt, but I want to make .... " something that even the very experienced shudder at the thought of trying to do.

On the other hand, probably a lot of our break-through inventions and discoveries have been made by people that didn't know "it couldn't be done"
Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Please let us know how this works out for you :D :D :D
Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 AM

I would not be too quick to discourage using alternte fabrics for your quilt. If you blend the heavier fabrics with some lighter-weight ones, you may be very pleased with the results! I use cotton velvets, silks and pre-embroidered ultra suede fabrics on many of my pieces and they are not too heavy to work with or use. If you have access to scrap upholstery fabrics, you are SO lucky! I am VERY jealous! I was told, at JoAnn's in Round Rock, TX that they are ordered to THROW THEIR SAMPLES AWAY when they are rotated off the racks and I am heartbroken about that!
I do quilt the blocks and batt them individually before joining them and this helps on working with bulkier fabrics.
I also back with lighter weight fabrics such as polyester and taffeta, using low-loft batting in between front and back and I have not gotten any complaints to date.
Quilting does not have to be limited to cottons (though some of the "purists" out there would disagree!) and, I think the whole idea is to use fabrics you have available and a grand imagination! Do start with the pillow and, please let us see how you do! GOOD LUCK!!!

Back of quilt with Lone Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]45861[/ATTACH]

Front of quilt, velvet, silk, cotton, taffeta
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46247[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-45861.jpe   attachment-46247.jpe  
Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I think it also depends on what type of use this item will get.

Is it for adults? How to clean it? Will kids and/or pets be on it?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:45 AM

I also have been wanting to make a Double wedding ring quilt, my step daughter just got married in June and I want to make her a quilt for her new house. That would be so neat to have a DWR quilt. good luck with yours and please pictures we all love pictures or as most would say eye candy, I love candy.

Rita
Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 AM
nel

This pattern isn't easy for a first timer- I have tried it and never liked the results. Curves are for the advanced quilter, in my opinion.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 AM

Is the pillow idea working?

The idea about quilting as you go might work with the heavier fabrics.

I, too, am lookinig at the idea of making a dwr quilt. My daughter asked for one out of batiks. Luckily, I have a year or so to do it. :-)
Old 12-08-2009, 05:13 PM

I would not make a wedding ring out of upholster fabric, it's too heavy. The wedding ring is not a beginners pattern. If you are a beginner, start with a 9 patch or something like that. The upholster fabric can be used for a strip quilt with maybe a flannel backing and no batting and it may not be to heavy. I'm in TX, so it would be way to heavy for down here.