Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Weighted quilt/blankets >
  • Weighted quilt/blankets

• Weighted quilt/blankets

Old 11-26-2018, 03:29 AM

I made one of these several years ago and remember watching a tutorial that was a big help. The one thing that I definitely remember was the person commenting about the number of needles she used if she wasn't careful. Be sure those pellets are out of the way!!! I used a very tightly woven sheet, hoping then it would be covered with something like a duvet (spelling?) so it wouldn't need laundering very often. Sure wouldn't want those pellets spilling out in the machines or melting in a dryer. As I recall, I bought pellets at Hobby Lobby, using their 40% coupon.
    Old 11-26-2018, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle
    What is the purpose of these blankets? How would one wash them?
    Some good uses are stated in other posts and these are also used for children and adults with ADD and related syndromes. A weighted vest is also helpful for a dog who is terrified during a thunder storm.
    Old 11-26-2018, 03:07 PM
    Power Poster

how does one wash a weighted blanket? Ah, saw the answers. doesnt' seem to difficult. I am thinking of making one.
    Old 11-27-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by osewme
    Here's the link to Man Sewing (Rob Appell) weighted blanket. He gives some good tips along the tutorial.

https://mansewing.com/2015/04/weighted-blanket/
    I loved that tutorial when I saw it. He also has one on fidget quilts that is exceptional. I'm considering his fidget quilt for my FIL.

This is what quilting is about {{{{{{{}}}}}}} for me.

Pellets: I've seen some excellent sales on them at Joann's. Thursday through Sunday are the best time to watch for them.
    Old 11-29-2018, 09:47 PM

A pieced top is actually possible, but put a light weight solid piece behind it before filling with pellets. Wash these gently in the bathtub with woolite, and agitate by hand. I air dry outside, in the sun on good days, changing the layout occasionally to have even drying.
    Old 11-30-2018, 07:58 AM

I make heavy quilts with leftover cotton scraps by layering and quilting the small pieces. A friend suffers from PTSD and it helps him sleep. By only quilting the absolute minimum, I keep it fluffy and a good drape. Denim tops make a heavy quilt. My son and his friends pass around a denim quilt made with the pockets when they end up in cold winter in ND or Nebraska.
    Old 11-30-2018, 12:08 PM

I work in a place with foks who have ID and other issues. We ahve used weighted blankets for many years as many of our fok are comforted by them.
    Old 11-30-2018, 04:48 PM

Rather then put the weighted material in the blanket, I make little pockets that close with velcro on the inside of the blanket. Then sew 3 sides of little squares together, put some of the weighted material in and sew up the forth side. These little weighted squares go in the pockets and close with velcro. When washing I just remove the weighted squares, wash the blanket and then put the weighted squares back in.
    Old 12-16-2018, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
    I am going to make a couple for Christmas. Do you know where the best/most inexpensive place to buy Poly Pellets?
    Hi! I haven't found a cheap source for pellets either. Today I went to JoAnn's Fabrics. I was able to use coupons for items not on sale. I got the price of a 2lb. bag down to $6 each (they retail for $9.99 each regular price)
    Old 12-17-2018, 05:58 AM

I have been researching weighted blankets for a couple of friends and am searching for the proper weight that should be used according to the individuals weight. Has anyone seen a table or formula to figure it out?