Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Welcome suggestions for fund-raiser quilt >

Welcome suggestions for fund-raiser quilt

Welcome suggestions for fund-raiser quilt

Old 08-17-2011, 06:09 AM

I've been asked to suggest an appropriate quilt to make for a fund raiser for the annual meeting of the 2012 American Fisheries Society. Doesn't have to be just fish-themed but I think fish and aquatic focus would be the most appealing to those (fish people and some spouses) who will be attending the meeting. Several years ago, I suggested and spearheaded the making of a quilt for my state chapter. Solicited donations of blocks from members (or their quilting acquaintances) with the general fisheries/aquatic them, then the woman who is spearheading this one, designed it and completed it. It was great. I loved it and bought quite a few tickets, but alas, I didn't win it. lol

This donated quilt will be for the annual national meeting which is being hosted by our state chapter. A successful fundraiser is very important to the organization. Quilt would likely be raffled (chances likely sold only at the meeting) or maybe used in a silent auction. Obviously, we want to have something special. One idea I have is making a t-shirt quilt with fish/aquatic shirts, perhaps asking for donations of t-shirts from shops and those who sell ones that would work. I think that would be okay but likely not as special as something else. By the way, I'll help where I can but I won't be the one making the quilt. Linda is a much more experienced quilter (but very busy so can't do it all herself). I'd/We'd appreciate any suggestions -- patterns, fabrics, etc. that we might consider.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:21 AM

I made a Corvette themed quilt to be auctioned off following our Corvette Club's car show, and it was well received. This is a charity auction, and last year I made a small quilt that brought $240. This year, because my fabric had large cars, the quilt was much larger. The event isn't until the end of Sept., so I can't tell you what it will bring.

But, I used the Warm Wishes pattern and the club members all loved it. Let me find a picture and see if it will work for thinking ideas for you.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-243001.jpe  
Old 08-17-2011, 02:25 PM

I have some fishing fabric left over from my Uncle Bob's fishing quilt (which I posted photos a while back) if you want a variety of fabrics-let me know if your interested-you can check my photos listed in my profile to see what I mean.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:17 AM

Thank you both for the suggestions and offer for fishing fabric, Vanuatu Jill.. I'm passing your input on to Linda. At this time, I'm not sure if she is just seeking ideas or if she also wants help with blocks, etc. We've got plenty of time; the meeting will be September, 2012. Keep the ideas coming and I'll provide updates on what's decided and on other progress.