Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, they didn't teach me this in Home Ec.

I always have my board set this way, as I am lefthanded. Learned to sew and iron from my lefthanded grandmother.
    So I don't understand the big deal!!!
    Enjoy your life, it's the only one you have!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    interesting ... thanks for sharing
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My DH made me a large board which he covered with batting and then fabric and I sit it on my ironing board, but, I can take it off when I need to use the narrow end of the ironing board. For some reason, it doesn't move around when I sew. I thought I'd have a problem with that, but I think with the top fabric sitting on the fabric from the ironing board, it's kind of like velcro.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I have used the wide end for years. Two ironing boards together makes for a real nice surface for pressing quilts; however, there is that gap... but it works. It makes for about a 24" surface.

Anita in Northfield, MN

I am so Glad the Secret is Out.... never crossed my mind LOL.... Thanks for sharing... I am on my way to turn my board around...

Judy in Phx, AZ

What a great idea! Can't believe I never thought of that! We can be such creatures of habit.
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I put the irons on the skinny end of the guild boards and it was funny to see some of the members looking confused.
    I do that all the time a guild workshops because I am left handed and they put the boards for right handed people, drives them crazy!!

My friends DH made us tops that go over our ironing boards so that we have more area to iron on. We then put cotton batting on them and an old sheet. Works great

I never had home ec at all, so I was never taught any way to have an ironing board. This is how I've always had mine set up.

What would be the reason to do it the other way (the way that was apparently "taught") ?

I bought one of those full size boards that hangs from a door and would pit the iron on the shelf next to it. But now I'm living in MT. and my sewing room has no door so I have to find another way to use it. Sewing room is a converted attic so no even walls or ceiling. No closet door either. Ever try ironing blocks on a sleeve board? Boy do I miss my ironing board!
    Kathy Osterby

Yes, I started that several years ago for pressing shirts. It makes ironing go much more quickly, as you have a larger surface & you don't have to move the shirt as many times.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Never thought about doing that. What a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I have been doing it for years!! put the iron on the skinny end.
    so have I, but as the iron can fall easily I put it on the bench next to the ironing board.

Makes perfect sense. My "regular" ironing board has a heavy wire attachment at the broad end for holding the iron so the manufacturer must have been aware of the need for more of the wide space. I've made an even wider add-on that makes for easier ironing of yardage.

I have been ironing and pressing like that for years. My grandmother did it when I was a child. She kept her iron near her wood burning cook stove, because she didn't have an electric iron when I was young. I remember being warned about the hot irons when she was teaching me to make quilts.

Blog Entries
    actually we did do that in jr high sewing class but that was back in the 1950's when the boards were all strong enamealed steel.....actually still have mine (was mothers but she bought an "not soooo heavy" one when i was in high school and I adopted this one....saved it actually from the trash, she was putting it outside just as i came home from school ) which i use almost every day and the narrow end is very solid not wobbly like the ones in the store now.

sorry did not mean to be so longwinded

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Same here. Drives my husband nuts when he wants to iron a shirt, lol!
    AS I was reading this thread, the same thought was going through my head: He will think I've gon bananas! He does not do well with change and I think this would throw him off the edge. teeheehee
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    Before I started quilting, I used the big end for ironing the back of shirts - so it was already a no-brainer to use it for ironing patchwork.

My board sits so I can stand on either side of it. And I have an extra long cord on my iron. So when I'm pressing patchwork, I stand with the wide end on my left, and when I'm ironing clothes I just move to the other side. I also have an extra wide ironing board (European I think it's called) which is great for my husband's XXXL shirts, and also works great for fabric... And I have to say I envy you gals whose husbands iron their own shirts!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I was amazed and amused when I saw my 40+ yo son iron his shirt this way!

I've been ironing this way for many years. My mother in law taught me. Makes ironing anything except very small clothes easier. Pants fit better, shirts iron faster, and quite frankly, I hate ironing so badly that I will do anything to make it go faster. I like the idea of making it a large rectangle. Will have to think on that.

Do you mean to tell me people iron things other than quilting? Who knew?

Blog Entries
    I do the same thing. Maybe someday I can get one of the big, wide, squred boards. That gives me an idea, since I have 2 ironing boards, maybe DH can cut a more user friendly board to bolt on the old board. Hummmm- leftover batting, yard goods, starting to take form as a new ironing board for just fabric. Thanks for the inspiration. It will stay up in my sewing room.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

works better to iron the shirt on the bigger end too.

Good Golly -- your hubby irons his shirts? I'm envious!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Same here. Drives my husband nuts when he wants to iron a shirt, lol!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast