Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wet, stinky fabric--help >

wet, stinky fabric--help

wet, stinky fabric--help

Old 06-15-2010, 07:19 AM

Sorry about the damage and problems. I agree your insurance person is being a butt head. We had a fire in basement several years ago. They told me to document all damage, give estimate of what I paid, and they compensated me for the cleanup as I did not want a stranger in my home pawing through my stuff ands cleaning it. I kept a log of my hours, cleaning supplies, and such. Ine month later, you did not know we had a fire down there.

White vinegar works, cold water, HANG outside to dry. The sun will help odors dissipate. Soaking, rinsing, soaking, rinsing and then hang drying. Now is not the time for your normal wash steps.

I use Oxyclean in all my really dirty loads of laundry. Takes out odors, too. Using something like Fabreeze only covers the odor it does not eliminate it. You need a product that will KILL the odors and the bacteria/fungus/molds in the fabrics. It can be done without throwing out the fabric. DO not put through the dryer until all smells are gone. Hang dry. I also use CLoros 2 in all loads of laundry. We live in the xcountry with well water and have a high iron content in the water.

Fabreeze does not, as far as I know, KILL the germs causing the problem it only masks the odors by making it smell good for a short time.

Read the Simply Green container and see if it will KILL the germs and is safe for fabrics. They make a product called D-2 which will kill the germs, but it comes in a gal. size container and is special order. It is safe for humans, plants, animals, bio-degradeable, etc. but do not know about fabric.

One day at a time. Be patient. Don't throw things away until you have exhausted all resources. Been there.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Originally Posted by grammaJilly
Insurance company said they would not pay anything for the fabric because I don't have receipts.
So does that mean I need to have receipts for all the furniture, pictures, towels, bedding, pots and pans, glasses, etc for my home if 'something' were to happen? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Some of that stuff is well over 30 years old...almost antique :lol:

I'll have to check with my insurance today. I can't imagine needing every receipt for everything in my house. . . and probably needing a safety deposit box 'outside the house' to keep them. Stupid! :thumbdown:
You need to make a video inventory of everything in your house. I kid you not. You must have date stamped proof of your stuff. Put it in the safe deposit box at the bank when you are done. They cannont argue with photographic proof.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:37 PM

I just purchased a box of fabric at a garage sale and really didn't go thru the box when I got it home. Well when I did go thru it the fabric had that real bad musty smell to it. I had some oxyclean so decided to try it and it worked great.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Google Goddess

do you have replacement insurance on your contents and if so they will pay for your fabric

you may need to contact the Insurance Commissioner in your state.

I was an Insurance agent for over 25 years!

sounds like that adjuster doesn't know about contents coverage

Good Luck!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:46 PM

I use Oxyclean.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 PM

So sorry to hear about your home. I would ask for the insurance adjuster to come out to your home and review the damages to the fabric and the entire room again. You should be able to recoop something for the fabric and whatever was damaged; especially when they see it first hand. Review your policy line for line. See if there is anything that will state coverage for the room. It doesn't make sense that they will only replace certain things damaged in the room and not the fabric or other items. Try again and don't give up. Adjusters don't always want to replace everything, but when you start asking questions, they have no choice but to give you a justification why it wouldn't be covered. Keep asking questions.