Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Whaddya MEAN you don't cut with the lines on the mat?!

When I 1st learned to quilt, it was because I won a free class. I knew nothing, so I did not learn any bad habits. I was taught to use the ruler.
    Carol in Michigan

The lines on my mat are consistent with the lines on my ruler and so I do use my mat all the time.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

For those of you who want to see it done, try looking on you-tube for squaring up fabric or rotary cutting with rulers. I'm sure there are many demonstrations on there.

I use the lines on my mat to square up the fabric, but I never "measure" fabric with those lines. I was taught to stay with one brand of ruler because even rulers can vary and certainly a mat would be even less accurate. I always use Ommigrid rulers only because that's what I have the most. I use other specialty rulers for angles, special projects, etc. I also use an Olipfa ruler as my straight edge with a rotary cutter because I like the stability I get from "hooking it" onto the edge of the mat. An additional aid, for me anyway, is the Gypsy gripper. My rulers seem to slip less when I use the gripper on the straight edge I am using as my cutting edge.
    Karen in Kentucky

Blog Entries
    Would you post again what you are talking about because I don't understand either?

I use both
    Syl

Blog Entries
    I also use both. I wouldn't do it any other way. I love both the rulers and the measurements on my mat.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

I was using the mat most of the time....just using the ruler for a straight edge to cut against. I've been forcing myself to use the rulers now as I think that is more accurate for me.

Blog Entries
    I'm confused, I use the lines on my matte how so you not?

I googled cutting fabric from first cut. There are so many videos, I watched two of them, one used the lines on the mat and one used the ruler. Hmmmmmm

For those of you who replied needing the information, but haven't read the entire thread, scroll up to post #39
    Last edited by Teeler; 03-26-2013 at 05:59 AM.

I taught classes at our LQS and I was surprised at how many experienced quilters used their mat grids for cutting. I would gently "convert" them to using rulers ONLY for consistency.
    I only use the mat for rough measurements, before cutting ... If you aren't sure, there are a lot of good videos online.
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 03-26-2013 at 06:24 AM.

I checked this link "Cutting Fabric from the First Cut" and this is how I cut first cut. Then I use my ruler to cut other cuts keeping the bottom folded edge lined up with a line on the mat. One important thing that was mentioned in this post is CONSISTANCY meaning using the same ruler throughout the project. This is aLso true if you use a mat as your cutting tool. I do know understand how you can always use the mat for cutting lines since the fabric edge does not always stay on a mat line. Do you keep lining up your fabric to the mat and if so do you not take chance of the edge not staying even as you move the fabric.? I just find it easier to use my ruler.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

What? Those marks on the mat actually serve a purpose? I thought that was for looks.

Thanks for the tip! I bookmarked it for much in depth study as I find myself using both the ruler and mat lines when cutting.

I have cut on my mat so much the lines are disappearing in some places, I use lines to get the piece squared up then the lines on the ruler to get the actual cuts.
    Pat
    pat design

Blog Entries
    Where is the link?

If you look in many quilting books, it also suggests that you get the most accurate cuts from the ruler not the mat. If you are right handed the bulk of the fabric should be to the right of the ruler, if you are cutting left handed the reverse is true, the ruler is positioned over the strip you are cutting and the remainder of the fabric is removed at the cutting linel. Thanks to Teeler for supplying where to google,
    Pat
    pat design

I use the two ruler method. Rarely use the lines on the mat. It's too hard to line up the fabric correctly!

I watch Gourmet Quilter's videos. She uses her board (her name for her mat)and her ruler for all her cutting...... Seems so easy, but I have not tried this. I use the O'lipfa Lip Edge Ruler. 5x24"..........Works good for me for 5 years.
    Happy Quilting to all

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    http://www.ehow.com/video_8126003_cu...-quilting.html

I don't know how to delete duplicate post...sorry
    Last edited by cdroter; 03-26-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cdroter View Post
    Thanks a bunch for this video - I never saw it done that way before but it makes a lot of sense, so that looks like a good way for my next project. Thanks again.

whynotquilt
    For those still looking for it, copy and paste this in your goggle search and it should lead you to it:
    Cutting Fabric from the First Cut

I've book marked it onto my computer so I can have easy access to it and share it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast