Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What about muslin? >

What about muslin?

What about muslin?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville uses pages from old telephone books for string piecing on. Our small town phone book wouldn't provide many pages, but I did get a thick one from our daughter that I intend to use in the future. That paper is supposed to tear away easily--if not, she suggests running a damp q-tip over the line of stitching to help the paper "dissolve". Recycling at it's best!
If you're not familiar with Bonnie Hunter, check her out at www.quiltville.com.

Grannie making mental note-------------dampened Q-tips sounds like the ideal solution to making paper tear-able.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I'm missing something here. Why is fabric (muslin or otherwise) used instead of paper that can be torn away? Do you print the pattern on the fabric like you would with paper? If so, how? Do you cut the fabric away after piecing?

I'm confused.
She isn't doing a paper piecing pattern, she is doing a string quilt. here is a good reference to check out!

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...ng_piecing.htm
Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

it is only for foundation...buy it cheap...and wash in HOT water and put in dryer until just damp..then spray with sizing and iron...cut into desired block sizes PLUS 2", and have some string slinging FUN!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

PS..you want to use muslin and NOT paper..as with the variations in bias edges, the foundation will hold the strips all flat and proper..if you use paper, when you remove that..you will have a pebbled beach...it will NOT lie flat!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
PS..you want to use muslin and NOT paper..as with the variations in bias edges, the foundation will hold the strips all flat and proper..if you use paper, when you remove that..you will have a pebbled beach...it will NOT lie flat!
Good point ! You always have the best information!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I'm missing something here. Why is fabric (muslin or otherwise) used instead of paper that can be torn away? Do you print the pattern on the fabric like you would with paper? If so, how? Do you cut the fabric away after piecing?

I'm confused.
It's o.k. there's may ways to skin a cat. I use paper foundations that I tear away for charity, string quilts. It's basically free for me as I use old copy paper. But, it takes a lot of time and effort to remove all that paper. Hours, really. So, if you want to skip that step you can use whatever fabric you'd like as a foundation. It's then buried in the quilt and you don't remove it. You save a lot of time that way.

You can actually transfer designs to fabric similar to paper (paper piecing). There are transfer pens and patterns on the market for this. I prefer paper piecing for smaller projects. But, for twin size and larger you are talking a large amount of time to get all that paper off. So, this method is the choice for many people.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 PM

Actually, if you keep all the paper on until the top is completely finished you have NO problem with bias edges and waves. The problem is people remove the paper too soon. It should remain on until the top is finished.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:29 AM

Exactly what I thought!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:39 AM

You can use almost anything for a foundation fabric. I have even seen them use silk and satin. (I wouldn't, but they did) A cheap muslin or a thin fabric that you wouldn't use for quilting should fit the bill. My MIL used dryer sheets too. Made a nice foundation.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:41 AM

My favorite is Southern Bell Creamy; it's a good quality and washes really nice. At the LQS it runs around $5 a yard