Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is it about this quilt! >

What is it about this quilt!

What is it about this quilt!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 PM

I'm making a ragged edge Christmas lap blanket for my brother and sister in law for Christmas. Making the top was a breeze. Now I'm quilting it onto fleece backing... super easy. I should be able to knock it out in a couple hours.

It is like pulling teeth to quilt one square and the quilting is three concentric squares, freestyle. I don't have to trace a design. I don't have to do free-motion. It's as far from complicated as you can get.

But every time I sit down to quilt this stupid thing, I feel overwhelmed, depressed and weighted down. Completing one square feels like I've been wading through waist-high water for a mile.

What gives?! Does this ever happen to anyone else??

I finally put it aside tonight after taking five.. yes.. FIVE hours to complete three squares. I would sew a line, put it aside and distract myself with other things, then finally pick it back up again because I was tired of it laying there, taunting me. Once I put it aside and went back to work on my Cabin in the Woods, I felt so much lighter and happier.

I have to get this quilt done before I start listening to Emo music!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 PM

I have been there before myself and am that way right now on a quilt as well. Sometimes we 'creative ones' need to turn our attention and creative minds to another project for awhile, we can get bored with the simple things and need stimulation. Catch a quilt show helps, the change of pace will help as will switching projects. If we feel we 'have to get it done', it becomes 'work' in our minds eye and work isn't fun usually.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 PM

It sounds like you need a break! There's no rush, you still have plenty of time. Why not keep it to the side for a couple of days and work on something else? Or you could try sewing in another room, or with music you love, or with a favorite movie in the background. Maybe promise yourself a treat of some kind when it's done?

Or wine. Wine is an excellent gift to self. :)
Old 12-12-2010, 01:47 AM

What about just tieing it?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:30 AM

Yep I turned on christmas music to try and inspire me to hurry and finish my last "Have to" project. Didnt work took me all day(10 hours) to do a 2 hour project. But its done. Hang in there and just do what you can.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:04 AM

It's about a third of the way quilted so I'm committed to quilting. I'll get it done but ugh is it drudgery!