Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What batting do you prefer and why? >

What batting do you prefer and why?

What batting do you prefer and why?

Old 09-09-2017, 12:48 AM

That's funny, because QD wool is my favorite batting. I use a longarm with a brand new needle, though, and don't get bearding. And everything is prewashed. The latest quilt I made has a wide backing which was prewashed. I love how warm (but not hot) and lightweight the quilt is. I also like QD Select cotton. For me, the QD Request batting is too thin. I also used a bamboo batt once, liked it. Have never used silk.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:25 AM

Wink Quilt inspector approved batting

I tried the Hobbs Poly down for the first time. It keeps you warm and toasty. The loft is slightly higher than using Warm and white batting.
Attached Thumbnails img_7667.jpg  
Old 09-09-2017, 02:32 AM

I prefer Quilters Dream select, too, for its drape and softness, but I do sometimes use Warm & Natural cotton which I don't find as drape-able. I've also used QD bamboo and the green recycled bottles batting with success.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:47 AM

I use Warm & Natural or White needlepunched. I prefer these to the ones with scrim.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:14 AM

I love Warm and Plush. It has no scrim and is thicker and fluffier than Warm and Natural, which does have scrim and always feels really stiff to me (Warm Company FAQ).

I was under the impression that the silk battings, even the silk blend battings, couldn't be machine washed? Has anyone successfully machine washed a quilt with a silk batt? I've always eyed the Tuscany Silk with envy, but I simply don't have the time to hand wash a quilt so I've never purchased it. I do have a silk comforter and it's the most beautiful comforter I own!
Old 09-09-2017, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

What a beautiful kitty!!!
Old 09-09-2017, 04:58 AM

I like warm & natural for the vast majority of my projects. I now have a roll of the warm & toasty. It does add weight and warmth, and I believe it shrinks a little bit more than regular W&N. I don't find either of them stiff once washed. I also love the bamboo, but since Hancocks is closed, I don't have a good and affordable source. Personally, I hate to touch any of the polyester or poly blends, so I just don't use them. I have used the Tuscany Silk and the Hobbs Wool - both very nice for special projects.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:23 AM

Have heard from a couple of reputable teachers (Bonnie Hunter for one) that poly batting acts like a brillo pad in the quilt and wears the fabric away from the inside....
Old 09-09-2017, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by plays10s View Post
Peggi - Is this the QD Wool that you have never had a problem with? If so, do you wash your fabric first before quilting? Just curious. Thanks.
The king-size quilt on my bed has QD wool and I didn't prewash because most of the fabrics in the top were precuts.

I used QD black poly in another quilt that was prewashed, and had no issues with it.

QD cotton and cotton/poly blends are both lovely, with a wonderful drape and soft hand. I encourage the OP to try either one for her wedding gift.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:01 PM

my go-to is Hobbs 80/20, either white, natural or black (if the back & top call for it--usually it's natural). I love wool bat, especially if there is applique (or a panel) that needs the faux trapunto treatment. Then I will often double bat with 80/20 and a wool. Hobbs Tuscany is my favorite.
I also used QD poly in black for a recent doubled quilt and loved the hand of it and will definitely purchase more.
I also recently bought a bamboo bat at a show and anxious to try it out.