Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What batting should I use? >

What batting should I use?

What batting should I use?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:50 AM

I had no idea there was a right/wrong side to batting. Thanks.
Originally Posted by crashnquilt
If you took W n N or W n W then your quilter loaded it upside down if you have batting fuzz on the quilt. I use one of the older brush lint removers and this does a really good job at removing that lint.

Your rule of thumb on any type of cotton or cotton blend batt is the bumpy side goes UP, slick or smooth side goes to the backing fabric.

This info is provided to you by a longarm quilter.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 AM

I use mostly warm and nat, wandw, with no problem. I have used Dream blend also with no problem. I really like it but it is not available where I live now.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:15 AM

[quote=SueN]I had no idea there was a right/wrong side to batting. Thanks.

Nor did I. I will have to look more carefully when I get ready to finish my next project. Good info to have.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:10 AM

does that also happen if the quilting needle was blunt? would tht push the batting out?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 AM

If you can remove the fuzzies with a lint roller they probably won't keep appearing on your quilt. Using a dull needle may have caused this. If, on the other hand, batting fibers keep coming out of your quilt, I would suspect that she may have substituted a poly batting for your W and W. You can check this by gathering a small amount of the fiber and WITH TWEEZERS holding it over a candle flame (be sure to have a glass of water handy to drop the fibers into if needed.) Cotton fibers will "char" when burnt, but poly. fibers will melt into a hard nubbin.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
does that also happen if the quilting needle was blunt? would tht push the batting out?
I wonder the same thing, because I have never worried about which way my batting was facing(right or wrong) and I haven't had this problem.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

i have been long arm quilting for quite a few years now and never have i had a quilt come out (fuzzy).
my customers use all kinds of different battings, (thankfully most use the warm products) some of their batts i hate, but i use what they bring and want used, never has a quilt come out with fuzz on the outside of the quilt, i would be taking a lint brush to it and asking the quilter just where all this fuzz came from.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

In all the time I've used W&N or W&W I have never had pilling of the batting. Now I do use W^W on light quilts only but that should not make a difference.

If someone buys the bagged batting, it is important to unroll/unfold it and let it relax for a while. You can also toss it in the cool dryer with a damp towel to help relax the folds.

I bought my first piece of Hobbs 80-20 on Friday. It is a requirement for my quilting class - to try different battings and this one will be used in trapunto. It feels a bit fluffier than W&N but not as fluffy as Polyester.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 PM

[quote=akrogirl]
Originally Posted by SueN
I had no idea there was a right/wrong side to batting. Thanks.

Nor did I. I will have to look more carefully when I get ready to finish my next project. Good info to have.
Same here!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:57 AM

There should not be any fuzz from warm &natural/or warm & white. Are you sure the lady doing the quilting used your batting?
I use warm & natural all the time, no fuzz.