Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What batting would you use for a pet mat? >

What batting would you use for a pet mat?

What batting would you use for a pet mat?

Old 04-25-2021, 09:11 AM

Default What batting would you use for a pet mat?

I am making some cat mats for my vet's office using 100 per cent cotton fabric and was wondering what batting I should use. I have polyester batting as well as 80/20 batting. Not sure if it makes a difference. The small mats will be quilted of course.

Thanks so much!
Old 04-25-2021, 10:12 AM

My cats love poly batting. Can you use two layers? They would like that.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:12 AM
mkc

Check the care instructions for the batting - pick whichever allows higher heat washing and drying if there's a difference.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:20 AM

I would use a poly bat and a couple layers at that since these are quilted mats. I save scraps to make pet beds where the scraps are the filling for the mats made with old pillow cases. These go to rescues. A fellow quilter makes up the beds. I keep all my scraps for her.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

It might be best to ask the vet's office, what they truly want.
Better to get their input, than to later be told, oh these just won't work.

Of course, the vet/staff may not have a direct answer for you. Thus, it may be best to do one as a tester, then get their feedback before you mass produce! You might even make two, but with different battings, quilting density, etc. to give them something to compare.

Assumedly so, they will be repeatedly washing your quilted mats.
Hot water and the laundry detergent (perhaps harsher than what we use domestically) need to be considered in choosing the fabrics/battings that you use.

Good Luck for some purrrrfectly happy kitties!

Old 04-25-2021, 03:55 PM

I would also really check with the shelter or pet place you will be making them for. When I checked with the local animal shelter they preferred blankets made out of fleece and did not want them stuffed. They had those little dog beds up on legs and made with screen like material and they just wanted coverings for them. They also wanted little quilts for the cats but again wanted fleece. They said it washed better in the machines they had. I know for my own dogs, I just take two pieces of fleece and serge around the edges rounding the corners. My dogs of course have dog beds and I just put the fleece quilts in them and they love to "arrange" their bedding. I had one dog who would chew through anything when she was a puppy, I finally just made a blue jean scrap blanket for her and put that in her crate after she had chewed up a couple of dog beds. She liked it and did not destroy it.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:30 AM

I know the shelters and vet office appreciate every bed made for them. Be sure to check the size they'd like also. The shelter I donate too likes one size squares for kitten beds, another rectangular for dogs. I make my beds from two layers of fleece with batting in the middle, quilted about three inches apart. I quilt in a circle to help make a "nest" when the animal snuggles in. Good luck and thank you.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:28 AM

I use scraps of fabric too small for anything else. I have 5 cats and they love to curl up on them. I use old pillow cases or worn out sheets for the outside. Our guild received some pillow cases from a hotel here in town. and the members kept all their scraps and filled them. They are washable if needed.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:08 AM

years ago (up north) the shelter requested insul bright be used because they were used on concrete floor.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sunny580 View Post
years ago (up north) the shelter requested insul bright be used because they were used on concrete floor.
Huh...I never would have thought to do that.