Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best filling for pincushions? >

What is the best filling for pincushions?

What is the best filling for pincushions?

Old 10-21-2019, 06:10 AM

Default What is the best filling for pincushions?

I have done a few pin cushion swaps and was wondering what you all use for filling. The polyfill seems to squishy. Is there a heavier cotton version you like to give it a bit more weight?
Old 10-21-2019, 06:15 AM

I live in a high humid area (Seattle) and really like raw wool for pin cushion filling, but that probably isn't expected for swapping. My pin cushion at home is quite large (holds a couple hundred pins) that a friend made me from wool stuffed with wool.

My traveling pin cushion was made by a nice lady at the home where my friend worked. If you do a google on "knitted cupcake pincushion" you get the idea, but she made it better by using a large washer in the bottom for a stable base, looks like she crocheted the washer. It is then stuffed with poly but she added sparkly bead "jimmies" and I always get positive comments when I pull it out. That washer is amazing, it always lands base down. I actually keep it in a small clear plastic cup with a few safety pins in the base of the cup. The cupcake fits in and acts like a lid.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:23 AM

I have used crushed walnut shells, and it does give you some weight. You can get crushed walnut shells at the pet store in the reptile department and of course Amazon. I was wanting to make a rather large one, say 8 x 8 inches and was wondering about steel wool.? I don't want to use the walnut shells because it would be too heavy and don't want to use a polyfil. I am in the south so humidity would be high.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:27 AM

You can use crushed Walnut shells but some people are allergic to nuts you can also sand,plastic pellets, and BB's.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:56 AM

I like to use emery sand as a filling. I also make wool pincushions. I wind up wool yarn into a flattened ball so it sits and I felt it in the dryer to make a pin cushion.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:14 AM

When I was in 4-H some 70 years ago, one of the first projects we were required to make was a pincushion. We were told to fill with used, dried coffee grounds. I made mine from velvet with an embroidered face. I still use that cute little fellow, but the face is nearly worn off.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:33 AM

I just did a pin cushion. The directions said to use wool. I had leftover batting from one of my quilts. So I cut it up in odd sort of small pieces. I liked it. Would do it again. I do have a bag of emery grit that I've used before. It's pretty heavy. Don't think I'll use it too much more. Would not recommend those plastic pellets, coffee grounds or walnut shells (which I have also used). I collect vintage and antique pin cushions. When I get them sometimes they are pretty ratty and need a new top.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Try steel wool, like the Brillo pads only without the soap. lol Keeps the pins sharp too. Speaking of pins, when trying to pin material and its stubborn and won't go through, run the pin through your hair and try again. I keep my pins in a magnetic bowl that I got at Harbor Freight for 2.98. I kinda toss the pins towards the bowl and the magnet sucks them up. I have one for my sewing feet that i'm currently using, and one for my metal bobbins.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:13 AM

I too use crushed walnut shells unless otherwise requested because of nut allergies.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:03 PM

I use crushed walnut shell. Get them in the reptile department at local pet store. Seems like I have placed the shells in a muslin piece and sew it closed before placing in the pincushion.