Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What is the best flannel at Joann's?

What is the best flannel at Joann's?

I'll be going to a town with a Joann's store later today. What have you found to be their best flannel? Or do you have any experience with ones to avoid? Thanks for all input!

I purchased flannel from Joann's a couple of times to use as backing. When I pre-washed it had pills balled up all over and looked awful. Since I was gifting the quilt I couldn't use it. I bite the bullet and only buy quilter's flannel from FlannelWorld.com or Missouri Star Quilt Company now. If I go to all the trouble to make a quilt I am not willing to ruin it with cheap flannel.

Thank you, Marge. It is for backing an August wedding quilt.

I order my wide flannel backing from Fabric.com . I've been very pleased with the quality and price. Joann's flannel pills for me too.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Blog Entries
    I agree. I buy only the best. Usually on line.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I just purchased a midweight flannel from Joann's for the backing on a T-shirt quilt. I washed and dried twice and do ad no pulling. It looked very notice fter being quilted

The snuggle flannel they sell seems to be "low" quality, but last week when I went in I noticed they have started carrying a "premium" flannel. Haven't bought any, but if you see it compare it to the other to see what you think.

I've purchased their flannel for dragger rag quilts during the pre Black Friday super sale. The solid Cozy flannel was thinner than the print Snuggle flannel. It suited the purpose for the cheap price. I would look elsewhere for better quality if I were making a wedding quilt.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

I've had mixed luck with all flannels. Some of JoAnn's cheap flannels worked great, others pilled.

Connecting threads has nice quality flannel at a decent cost. doesn't pill, little shrinkage, real soft. Its backs quilts very nicely
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

The last 2 baby quilts I made, I purchased a premium flannel from Joann's. It was great and I would use it again. No problems with it at all.

I don't think all Snuggle flannel is bad. Recently I purchased a pretty tie dye one - I had to wash it repeatedly to get the colors to stop bleeding, it wasn't soft and it pilled. A butterfly print I bought at the same time washed up soft and fluffy with no pills. I think you have to choose one on a bolt by bolt basis.

It's hit or miss for me with Joann's flannel, the solid and tie dye colors usually pill and seem thinner than some of the prints. I actually got some better quality flannel at our closest Walmart, heavier than any of Joann's, not much shrinkage and no pilling when washed and tumble dried.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I've had mixed luck with all flannels. Some of JoAnn's cheap flannels worked great, others pilled.
    This is my experience. When I bought a few years ago, there was only one 'brand', but the quality of the brand varied from print to print. And I could not tell what would wash well, and what would not.

Quote Originally Posted by geevee View Post
    It's hit or miss for me with Joann's flannel, the solid and tie dye colors usually pill and seem thinner than some of the prints. I actually got some better quality flannel at our closest Walmart, heavier than any of Joann's, not much shrinkage and no pilling when washed and tumble dried.
    I have also purchased better flannel at Walmart.

surprisingly, our Walmart carries A E Nathan flannel which is a quality flannel.

www.thousandsofbolts.com has good quality flannel at good prices.

I bought quilter's flannel a while ago at Joann's. It was good quality and I had no problems of any kind with it. Made a quilt for my husband with the flannel on the top and minky for the back. He loves it, he beats it up, and I still have had no problems with it. But I wouldn't use their regular flannel on a quilt. Just too thin.

Quote Originally Posted by itssewfun View Post
    surprisingly, our Walmart carries A E Nathan flannel which is a quality flannel.
    Walmart has carried A E Nathan fabrics for years. The quilt pattern and fabric line of the month that they used to do were from A E Nathan. I only made one of them but it came out really pretty.

I've only used flannel for the back of a couple quilts. The first was from solid yardage that was given to me so I don't know where it came from but it washed up heavy and very soft. The second was a Moda flannel I bought at a LQS because it matched the fabrics on the front of the quilt(from JoAnns and Hobby Lobby). It too washed up heavy and so soft.

Cari

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I would not put JoAnn's flannel on a wedding quilt. I have purchased a lot of the snuggle flannel for projects such as burp cloths and have used the scraps in place of batting in baby quilts which I wanted to be lighter weight. I've had good luck with and and the burp cloths have gone through 3 kids with lots and lots of washings. They are faded and look well used but still going strong. To use it on a nice quilt however you would be degrading all the other material and work you are putting into this special quilt. If you want to make a kids drag around soft quilt I would use it. Prewash it and it makes a good light weight batting.

I've found Joann's flannel to be iffy. I have some I purchased that's as good as any I've ever purchased at any quilt shop and I've purchased some that pilled horribly when it was washed. If it's important, you might want to go with another source.
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com